Integrate scanner on ET1 with native android

I have written a native Android application and deployed it to the ET1. I would now like to integrate the scanner module SE4500-DL. I have installed the scanner module onto the ET1. Is there a Java library that I can use to access the scanner from my android application. Can you please provide an example.

Hector Meza
Greg, the Scanner API is not

Greg, the Scanner API is not exposed to native Java.  Two methods to leverage the scanner module, 1) thru the Rho Mobile Suite - API is exposed in the frame work and 2) DataWedge, the data application is installed as part of the device image - it runs in the background and will allow you to use the scanner and MSR modules with your application.

HM

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Greg Bondy
Since we're not using Rho

Since we're not using Rho Mobile Suite to do the development, it sounds like DataWedge is the option we need to pursue. I found the DataWedge application on the ET1. When I start the DataWedge application, it shows two options: Profile0 (default) and Launcher. Is there documentation available to help me configure and use the scanner through the DataWegde?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hector Meza
Yes, the ET1 user guide has

Yes, the ET1 user guide has the documentation on Data Wedge.  You should find it in chapter 3 - Data Capture.  The manual can be downloaded from the MSI support site - http: support.symbol.com

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Greg Bondy
I have been able to make some

I have been able to make some progress with the data wedge. I have been able to select the barcode scanner as the input source. This required an update to the ET1, ET1N0GXXRU03621852.zip (can be retrieve from http://support.symbol.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=13639&sliceId=&dialogID=404414655&stateId=1%200%20404398942). Once the update was installed I was able to enable the keystroke output. This allowed me to scan a barcode and have the text show up in a text field on the screen. There are still some problems with sending an Enter key along with the data. There is a option for this on the menu but it seems to be sending a CR/LF not an actual Enter key. Ideally, I would like to have the barcode data sent in an intent. I found documentation to do this in the ET1 Integrator Guide, http://support.symbol.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=14851101apdf&sliceId=&dialogID=418250279&stateId=1%200%20418246233. There is a detailed section, DataWedge Configuration, that describes how to configure intents. I followed the configuration steps but it did not work. There are some problems with the examples because they reference the action android.intent.action.DEFAULT and the category android.intent.category.MAIN which are not valid values. Someone should really clean up that section of the document.

I also looked in the ET1 users guide, https://docs.symbol.com/manuals/14851002a.pdf?userId=37, but the DataWedge configuration section in that document didn't have any detailed information.

If there is anyone who has been able to get output via intents to work with the DataWedge, I would really appreciate some pointers.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Roman Woloszczuk
Greg, you might find the

Greg, you might find the attached sample code useful.  The comments in the sample code also explain how to configure the DataWedge intent plug-in for the sample.  Get the sample working on your ET1, then cut and paste code into your app.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Greg Bondy
Roman, thanks so much. That

Roman, thanks so much. That example is exactly what I needed. I have the scanner working with one of my activities and I'm about to integrate the bar code reader into another. I also have a case number opened and I have asked that this example be used to update the DataWedge configuration section of the ET1 Integrator Guide and Users Guide.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’