9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 10:21 AM by Gary Miller

Simulator won't run on Mac OS 10.6.8

I'm new to Rhomobile so I apologize if this is not the right forum for this question.  I am trying to work through the first tutorial and when I try to run the simulator for the iphone I get and error "RhoSimulator cannot be opened because of a problem.  Check with the developer to make sure RhoSimulator works with this version of Mac OS X." 

Does anyone know if RhoSimulator runs on Mac OS 10.6.8?  If not what version do I need?

Thanks,

Gary

• Re: Simulator won't run on Mac OS 10.6.8
          Hamid Seleman

hi,

I just did a quick peek on my system is running Mac OS 10.6.8 as well and RhoSimulator still works just fine.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Here is a link to the RhoMobile google groups site where someone had the same issue.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rhomobile/YZrgJP1sifE

You will need to download and install the Qt libraries. If you can't figure it out from that walkthrough, let me know and I'll try and do the step-by-step for it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the help!!!

I've downloaded and installed the Qt libraries, but I'm not sure about the next piece, i.e.

"Then copy /Library/Frameworks/QtDBus.framework to RhoSimulator.app/Contents/Frameworks".

I can't find RhoSimulator.app/Contents/Frameworks, and if i did find it am I just to insert the statement /Library/Frameworks/QtDBus.framework into the RhoSimulator.app/Contents/Frameworks file or do something else.  I'm afraid I need a bit more help.

Thanks,

Gary

Message was edited by: Gary Miller Any ideas on where to find RhoSimulator.app?  If its not there do I need to reinstall RhoStudio and if I do should I install 2.1? Right now I have 2.0 installed.

RhoSimulator.app is located in the rhodes gemfile. You can use the command ruby -r rubygems -e "p Gem.path" to find out where your gems are installed. From there, you should be able to find the rhodes gem. Then travel down the files YOUR_RHODES_PATH/platform/osx/bin/RhoSimulator to find the RhoSimulator.app folder.

On my machine with rvm, the path is: /Users/Andrew/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p194/gems/rhodes-3.4.2/platform/osx/bin/RhoSimulator/RhoSimulator.app

In that folder, you'll find the Frameworks folder. You will need to move the Qt .framework file that you downloaded into that Frameworks folder. From there, you should be able to run the simulator. Let me know if you have any questions on that

Thanks Andrew, I'm making some progress. 

I've found my Frameworks folder, the path is similar to the one you described above, however I cannot find a Qt.framework file nor a QtDBus.framework file (file specified in the Google forum) to copy into the Framework folder.  I find a QtDBus.framework folder, but in that folder is only one file, i.e. QtDBus_debug.prl.  See snapshot below:

QtDBus.framework.jpg

Is the QtDBus_debug.prl file the one I want?  I'm still searching for a Qt.framework or QtDBus.framework file, but haven't found one so far.

I wouldn't have thought this would be this difficult just to get the environment set up.

Thanks for your help.

Hello Gary,

You do not need to install Qt libraries at all if you're using latest Rhodes gem--the above-mentioned information and fix for RhoSimulator are outdated very long ago.

Please ensure that you're using latest RhoStudio (version 2.1) or latest Rhodes gem (version 3.4.2). Everything should work fine on OS X 10.6 (as well as on OS X 10.7 and 10.8) without any additional fixes or efforts.

Regards,

Albert

P.S. The Finder screenshot you attached indicates that Qt libraries are not installed properly (at the least they are not installed to /Library/Frameworks on your system).

P.P.S. Apple usually supports two latest OS X releases, therefore after 10.8 release there's no guarantee that 10.6 will be supported for a long time, so my advice to you is to upgrade to 10.8 as soon as possible.