7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 9:47 AM by Adam Blum

RhoMobile poorly suited for ET1?

Stephen Skidmore

I'm developing for the ET1 and am new to Rho.  I'm finding rho to be poorly suited for the ET1.  The ET1 is wide, 1024x600 almost 2:1, and because of the location of its controls and add-on scan/imager modules it is very awkward for a user to use it rotated to portrait mode.  So the standard layout where most controls render at 100% width is an awful waste of screen real estate.  I've tried to counter this by using ui-grid and block classes but they are not properly displayed, I think this is because the controls I create are replaced by controls rho creates with what rho beleives to be appropriate styling.  For instance a button with class="ui-block-b" in a div with class="ui-grid-b" displays a button with a width of 33% as expected but a left magin of 5px so it is displayed left instead of center as desired.  I want to get the most out of the ET1 but don't think I can do it with rho.  I can create exactly what I want using a web app and jquery mobile but some of the desired hardware functions do not have javascript support only ruby.  If any one has dealt with the same issue I'd appreciate your insights.

Thank you

• Re: RhoMobile poorly suited for ET1?

Stephen,

I have had a similar experience and developed a prototype both ways. I was able to achieve the layout I needed in the native application but was also experiencing some pain in getting the Android SDK/NDK configured properly. I also had some wierd issues with RhoStudio/Eclipse corrupting the build.yml and rhobuild.yml files (build.yml had invalid characters inserted / rhobuild.yml had the Android: section removed).  Ultimately I ended up continuing development of my application as a  'Hybrid' application (HTML5/JavaScript/JQMobile). The other pro for hybrid development is that the knowledge base of HTML5 and javascript is much broader in my company.

Either way i am pretty sure that they both qualify as RhoMobile apps since they both need a RhoElements license to run on the ET1. Hopefully my statements are accurate, but I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Jay

Stephen Skidmore

Thanks for sharing your experience Jay.  I'd like to go hybrid but the rho camera api doesn't support javascript so I think I'm stuck with a native app, which is ok if I can get over the formatting issues.

Jon Tara

I would recommend first not loading iphone.css or android.css that are included with Rhodes/RhoElements.

The standard CSS that comes with jQuery Mobile adapts well to most screen sizes/shapes.

The iphone.css and android.css are designed for use on phones, and their purpose is to make the UI look more "native". They are a fairly crude attempt, and haven't been updated in quite some time.

I wouldn't think it matters to you whether your app looks "Android-native", so I would ditch this file.

Stephen Skidmore

Jon - thanks for the wisdom.  When I remove iphone and android.css the display definitely gets better but rhodes is still replacing my form elements with its own and over riding my styles.  My button is still 33% wide but it is also still at left = 0px.  Very frustrating.

I should also menthoin that I replaced jquery mobile 1.0.1 with 1.1.1

Jon Tara

Ditch jqmobile-patch.css as well. I'd forgotten about that, since I haven't used it in a long time.

That one specifically affects forms. And it's specifically for 320px-wide screen.

Kevin Lollock

Stephen - curious as to if the recommendation to remove jqmobile-patch.css helped out. By removing certain styling for devices not targeted to your build (ET1) eliminates the unnecessary co-dependencies which might affect the way things are displayed for the device. Jqmobile as used in this environment (for the ET1) and its use in RhoStudio inherently includes some of these things that the posts recommended to remove which may indeed improve the way your app is displayed.

Sounds like maybe some of the default styling is over-riding what you are intending? There is a decent overview of CSS found on the documentation site http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhodes/css-framework, along with a styling video found HERE that might help.