1782618 - MC7094 Updating Fusion with Airbeam

1) Time/Date - 01/05/2009

2) Response time

3) Product - MC7094

4) OS Version - 5.43

5) Clarify Case #1782618

have been sent a case that was tested and validated in Wireless group.

As per John Eveleth  from WID,
using Airbeam to load fusion update 14b on a MC7094 bsp 5.43

He stated that after it loads, the device reboots and gets stuck on the
warm booting screen.  same fusion package works successfully on a MC7090
but not on the MC7094.

I have performed the following tests on MC7094:

- Loaded fusion14b on sd card, manually installed by tapping on file thru File Explorer
Result: successful

- Created and uploaded airbeam osupdate package w/o fusion 14b
bsp 43 , (ftp) .
Result: successful

- Added to same airbeam osupdate package, fusion 14b (fusion.cab.pkg)
bsp 43, fusion package installed, device rebooted, stuck on warm boot screen
Result: failed

-Created and loaded airbeam osupdate package w/ fusion 14b
bsp 43, (local mode from sd card). Fusion package installed, device rebooted,
stuck on warm boot screen

-Created and loaded airbeam osupdate package w/ only fusion 14b

(ftp). Fusion package installed, device rebooted,

-Created and loaded airbeam osupdate package w/ only fusion 14b

(local mode from sd card) Fusion package installed, device rebooted,

- Created and uploaded airbeam osupdate package w/ only fusion 13b, (ftp) .
Result: successful.

- Created and uploaded airbeam osupdate package w/ only fusion 13b, (local mode from sd card) .
Result: successful.

Since the fusion update loaded successfully manually and loads successfully with fusion 13b,
it can be summized that there is an issue with the fusion 14b file in terms of how it interacts with airbeam. Paul Cowan stated that he feels the issue is on the os side, not airbeam ..
can someone give direction as to if this should be an spr or advice of additional testing that can be done to narrow the issue?

David Meyer
Unfortunately there have been

Unfortunately there have been sporadic problems loading Windows Mobile Packages (the type of file that the Fusion update is).  The package loads correctly, but the terminal gets stuck.  ECRT had investigated this internally and could not find a root cause.

The customer should work around this issue using either manual installation or just manually correcting the "stuck on boot screen" issue.  Typically, this can be recovered via cold boot.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Glenn Sobel
When I did my testing, only

When I did my testing, only way to recover was to reflash with sd card.
cold boot and warm boot did not recover.

This is a reproducible problem. I can reproduce this every time.
Your response is not a valid solution.
People are using this to send the fusion update to many devices wirelessly;
The resolution of manually updating their devices will not be welcome by the customer.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Meyer
There really isn't much more

There really isn't much more to do with this one.  We have seen in the past one random version on one specific hardware configuration has this problem.  The next Fusion package won't have any issues, and then another Fusion package will cause this issue on a different configuration.  (For example, in the past we saw a specific build failed to load on MC7095, but worked fine on MC7090, MC7094, MC9090, MC9094.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Glenn Sobel
I have cold booted the device

I have cold booted the device and it did not resolve the issue. At that point, as instructed, I
cold booted the device holding the right scan trigger without any sd card installed. The device
rebooted and tried to launch the Osupdate process (requesting ac power, etc..). In the cradle
the process to do an Osupdate failed and the device fully booted up. I checked the version of the
fusion driver. it did update.

At this time, i would like to point out that it was successful with fusion 13b but not 14b.

Is there any other testing I can do that may help determine what the issue could be?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Meyer
Did you try doing a cold boot

Did you try doing a cold boot holding the trigger (i.e. Update Loader) without any update files to install?  That has always worked for ECRT.

These are the only solutions available for the customer, so please figure out which one is best suited for the customer.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Topic locked