Bluetooth coverage of LS3578

Hi,

Received a complaint from the customer that the Bluetooth coverage for LS3578 scanner is hardly 5-6 mtrs wheras, the partner shown the demo with LS3478 where the scanner shown the coverage distance of around 25-30 mtrs.
Customer was able to scan the barcode on ground floor and having cradle setup at first floor PC.
Is there any setting needs tobe doen with LS3578? Or we suppose to get the response like this only with LS3578?

Sanjay
Jaime Weidler
Sanjay, There is an SPR#

Sanjay,

There is an SPR# 15506 already open to investigate and resolve this issue.  This is a known issue that we have experimentally proven (LS3478 wireless range better than LS3578).  Engineering has looked into it and found that there was a less than optimal impedance match between the transceiver and the antenna on the LS3578 scanner and STB/FLB3578 cradle.  Both PC boards were designed with a provision for an impedance matching for the antenna.  Engineering has performed comparitive testing of both the new LS3578 and the old LS3578, and the design change does improve the wireless range, to meet that of the LS3478.

There are two open items that need to be performed before the new design can be released:

1) Checking with Regulatory Engineering to make sure no special tasks or documentation are needed to make this design improvement change, since the matching network is in the RF power path.

2) Initiate a CDR for the inductor, and process the BOM changes and associated EC's. This is already in progress.

An official implementation date has not yet been determined.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Thanks, Any tentative

Thanks,

Any tentative timeframe for the this release? We need to convey the partners as the sell is already done..
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Yao-Wu Zhang
Any update of this issue? A

Any update of this issue?

A lot of my customers complained same problem.

Thanks.
Francisco
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jaime Weidler
This issue has been raised

This issue has been raised and an SPR# 15506 was created to investigate the reason for the lack of range (compared to the LS3478) and implement a solution.  At this time, our engineering team has found the cause and has redesigned the Bluetooth antenna in the scanner to increase the range.  Testing was completed and the solution does work.  A manufacturability study is on-going and that is the final obstacle to implementing this fix across the board.

I do not have an official timeframe for the EC (engineering change) to be cut-in yet.  I will let the field know once the scanner fix has been implemented.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi, I got the resolution to

Hi,

I got the resolution to sell DS3478 which is still on the product line. so we replaced LS3578 with DS3478 finally. You can try our new baby MT2070 also.

Sanjay
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Jaimie, Any update on

Hi Jaimie,

Any update on this fix?

Sanjay
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jaime Weidler
The Bluetooth antenna design

The Bluetooth antenna design fix has been implemented into new LS3578 scanners.  Any scanner that was manufactured after August 31, 2009 has the new antenna fix and will have range comparable or better than the LS3478 and DS3478...  SPR# 15506 was closed on August 31, 2009, since the resolution was tested, confirmed and the design fix implemented into production.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
I've been able to test the

I've been able to test the new LS3578 and can confirm that open area range is at least 50 meters. It's probably even more but I haven't found a long enough corridor in the building to try. Comparing to 25  meters with the old version.

Note that this is with the cradle (reworked as well). I believe in case of direct BT connection (for example to PC) the range would be 5-10 meters (as expected).

Valery
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jaime Weidler
Valery and team, Please note

Valery and team,

Please note that the fix was made to the antenna on BOTH the scanner and cradle... Therefore, when the scanner is paired to the cradle, you will get scanning range comparable or better than the LS3478 and DS3478...  However, when connected to a Bluetooth dongle on a PC, or a vehicle mount terminal, etc., the range will vary depending on the Bluetooth solution of the connecting device.  If the Bluetooth has in the peripheral device has a higher output power (Class 1 for example) or a higher receiver sensitivity value than the scanner, then the scanning range will actually be MORE than when connected to the Motorola cradle.  It is dependent upon the device, so you CANNOT automatically make assumptions about wireless range when the scanner is conencted to a peripheral device.  You need to test each solution individually.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juan Luis Navarro
What's the estimated range we

What's the estimated range we should expect when it is connected to the VC5090?

My customer is experiencing just 5-7 meters with a unit manufactured on August, 2009, and I would like to know how far can it go.

Thanks,
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jaime Weidler
The VC5090 utilizes a Taiyo

The VC5090 utilizes a Taiyo Uden Bluetooth Class 2 (output power) chipset.  I don't know what the receiver sensitivity is, but it is probably comparable to the National Semiconductor Bluetooth chipset.  Since both devices are Class 2 output power (Maximum +4 dB), the distance should be comparable to what you would experience with an LS3578 + STB3578 cradle distance. 

Therefore, I would use what the datasheet for the LS3578 states:

Outdoor, line of sight ~ 300 ft.
Indoor, typical warehouse environment, no line of sight:  ~ 100 ft.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’