"WiSPe APs cannot be converted to sensors" True/False?

All,
On this Motopedia page it claims that "WiSPe APs cannot be converted to sensors".

1. Is this true?
2. What is the method (if there is one) of converting such APs to be sensors?
3. Is this the reason that the AP300 is still shipped with WISP firmware?

I had real problems converting a dual radio AP300 to a sensor a few weeks ago, I tried a switch conversion and using the Windows Convertor tool with no joy, maybe this explains why....I think it needs to be bought to peoples attention...
Kevin Marshall
Chris, I actually wrote a

Chris,

I actually wrote a how-to guide for this topic which is posted here @ http://compass.mot.com/cgi/fetch/278122294/283867744/guides.html and http://motopedia.mot.com/wiki/HOW-TOs.

You are correct in that AP300s must be L2 adopted to the RF Switch for the conversion to work.

Regards,
Kevin
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Devereux
Hi Kevin, Yes I read this

Hi Kevin,
Yes I read this guide it's very good.  The problem I had was with several AP300s that were indeed L2 connected, but had (at some point before I received them) been connected at L3 and they refused to convert!  Therefore I understood from this statement that any AP300 (L2 connected) that was running WISPe firmware, would not convert...is this true?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Alona Gian
Thru which switch you are

Thru which switch you are trying to convert. The procedure is different depending on the switch used. The comment about WISP2 - goes for WS2000. The guide - "How to" - for RFS6000.

Alona
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Alona Gian
Thru which switch you are

Thru which switch you are trying to convert. The procedure is different depending on the switch used. The comment about WISPe - goes for WS2000. The guide - "How to" - for RFS6000.

Alona
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Devereux
It was an RFS6000 which

It was an RFS6000 which caused me problems, but I also tried converting them with the Windows Tool without success.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kevin Marshall
Chris, My applogies for not

Chris,

My applogies for not including additional details (multi-tasking).

In my specific lab envrionment which the guide was created from, all my AP300s are typically connected adopted by an RFS6000 (release 2.3 or 3.3) at L3. The WiSPe firmware was automatically installed on the AP300s when I first adopted them to the RF Switch.

Before converting an AP300 to a sensor I simply move the AP300 to a VLAN that is 802.1Q tagged to the RF Switch. The AP300s are then adopted at L2 to the RF Switch but are still running WiSPe firmware. I am then able to covert the APs with no problems as long as the sensor VLAN and AirDefense server addresses are appropriatly defined on the RF Switch..

Please feel free to ring me at (423)-282-3760 if you need additional details or help.

Regards,
Kevin
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Alona Gian
WISPe AP300 can be converted

WISPe AP300 can be converted on RFS6000. Was that a brand new AP300 that you tried to convert?
I would suggest do the following - first adopt Ap300 as a regular AP - to make sure it can and also the WISPe version is correct. And then try to follow the guide in converting to WIPS sensor.

Alona
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Timothy Brophy
This is true! In a AP300 the

This is true!

In a AP300 the entire AP is a sensor. Both radios must be used as a sensor.

Using the AirDefense product, the only time we can use a  a sense at the same as we pass data is when we use an AP5131 and soon to be AP7131. One radio is for data and the other is for full time sensing.

As to if we a shipping with WiSP and not WiSPe, I don't know if that is still true. The product manager would know that.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ananda Krishnan...
Hi All, L3 Adopted AP's

Hi All,

L3 Adopted AP's cannot be converted to sensor's. L2 Ap's can be converted to sensors.

FAQ :  Why L3 AP's cannot be converted to sensor's ?

Ans   :  Before Converting  any AP to a sensor, it has to be reset and adopted in WISP mode and load the sensor firware. Since L3AP will not be in the same broadcast domain it cannot be converted to a sensor.

Regards

Anand

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’