MC759x Challenges

I tried an earlier posting on this subject…it may have been censored!!! J

The intent with this posting is to solicit honest, and unbiased, feedback from the field on the first wave of deployments of the MC759x.

I currently have two deployment engagements that have mixed results. The first is a deployment of MC7598s on the Bell Mobility EVDO network, which was not without some challenges; however, it has been successful. The second, and I will with-hold expletives on the state of the deployment, has not been stellar.

The deployment of the MC7596 has been plagued with many issues, the current show stopper being, the loss of system audio to the speaker. This has resulted in a halt to the deployment.

This deployment has encountered; issue with the Cigarette Lighter Vehicle Charger, loss of audio, intermittent audio, half duplex audio during voice call, dropped calls, modem shutting off, WiFi inadvertently turning on, time incrementing by 20 minutes/sec tick, unit reverting to system default following an application provision (clean boot scenario), incorrect DTMF regristration while in speakerphone mode, and system time reverting to default. I may have missed a few; however, the picture is painted.

Some of the minor issues have been resolved (still to confirm) with registry settings, new RIL, and some other tweaking; however, the show-stoppers; audio, and modem issues have not been resolved. At this point we are approaching CASP.

The profile of usage on this project is voice heavy, with extensive usage in speaker phone mode, and while in speakerphone mode, the background process of data collection via scanning continues.

My probe to the field is to identify similar usage profiles, and to determine if the challenges are widespread. This product, as promoted to this account, offered performance and feature enhancements above the MC70, and a viable option to the incumbent Psion/Teklogix’s promotion of the iKON.

Based on the initial experience with the MC75, the customer has already voiced (not verbatim)…”it appears that we have made the wrong choice”!!

Please respond with your usage profile, and the challenges faced. I have faith in the product, given the extensive testing during the Beta program; however, I am questioning the nature of the testing that is performed during such a program. Who would have considered testing with a pocket outlook email profile, to uncover, the Wifi radio turning on as soon as the HS data session was dropped? Not a critical issue; however, it has a detrimental affect of battery life.

Thanks in advance to all who care to respond. Let’s try to improve the profile of his product. The last thing that we need is to “put another arrow in the competition’s quiver”…”another bullet in an already loaded gun”…you get the picture!!!

Cheers,

Don

Gene Niles
Don, Are all these issues

Don,
Are all these issues still open or do you feel these are things that were just missed? I have worked a quite a few Mc7596 deployments mostly data centric profiles and have not seen these issues. I would be interesting in knowing if these were utlimately resolved and if so was it with unit replacements and/or software upgrades.

Gene
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Andrew Wood
Don, I have been engaged on

Don,
I have been engaged on three MC75 deployments - all in cab field service mobility solutions. Each has been around 200 units. They have all used GPS, Voice, Scanning and Data transmission.

The main issues that I have had to work are poor quality voice sound when used in handsfree mode (spr 16385) The cigarette charger issue and a mixture of batteries not clipping in correctly and very poor GSM on some units.

Two of these deployments have been through one ISV - and it has caused some CSAT issues with them - So much so that they asked us to check a batch of 100 units they had in stock.

Other than that its been fine!!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Thomas Panariello
Don, thanks for the post.

Don, thanks for the post. That's great head's up information! I've been involved in a limited (12- MC7598's and 5 - MC7596's) MC75 evaluation. The only issue on your list that we experienced so far is the loss of audio when in speaker mode on one device. I thought it was an anomoly but apparently not. I'll escalate the issues if and when they come up - hopefully they won't...
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juan-Antonio Ma...
I am involved in several MC75

I am involved in several MC75 projects (especially Spanish post), and a "generic" issue I found (unfortunatelly not appliable to USA, I am afraid) is about SIM cards and WAN ( not voice).
Some SIM cards that do work on MC70 and other devices (including Q9) do not on  MC75.

Eventually I guess I found the reason (after some R&D), MC75 seems to only work with 128Mb USIM ( not SIM) newer cards. Even using latest RIL & modem patches.

Voice always works, it's only about WAN data transmission.
It's also not related to the provider, after my tests.
It's not a big issue anyway, since customer can always tell the provider to provide (that's a pun ) duplicated new cards, but then again it's embarrassing explaining them.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

JON PREEDY
Andrew... Interesting that

Andrew...

Interesting that you should mention batteries not clipping in properly... I've seen this on a few units myself, but thought it was an isolated thing... I vaguely remember we had a similar thing back in the very early days of the MC70. Is this a widespread problem? Anyone else?

The deployments we've had to date have been pretty smooth, both in terms of data and voice. I'd say we're yet to reach critical mass here in Oz just yet though.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Don Khan
Jon,       Any MC75 accounts

Jon,
      Any MC75 accounts deployed with the Vehicle Charger?

As for the phone users, are they using it in speakerphone mode?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

JON PREEDY
Don, thankfully we've been

Don, thankfully we've been spared the cigarette lighter problems: local regulations make a cradle of some sort a pretty much must-have here. ("The Device Shall Not Become A Projectile In Event Of A Collision" kind of thing.)

There's been limited speakerphone usage: the customer-most-likely is still yet to actually deploy but the feedback thus far has been generally positive.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Nick Zeleznock
I have about 250 deployed

I have about 250 deployed with one customer for Field Service and about 20 with another customer for Field Service.  We are seeing the core PS failure on the 75.  Keypad SPR fix needed to be applied because the keypad stopped working.  One customer on Verizon unit is having connection issues.  Password for the data connection is lost and has to be entered again.  Also seem to have some type of data stahl issue like the 7095 had.  Once in dormant mode the data connection is not recovering.  I am hearing some complaints about battery life on CDMA, but don't know how valid they are.  Want to get Symscript out to check.  Had one unit that programs were getting lost and had to re-add twice.  I am hoping this was an isolated issue with one unit.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Arsen Bandurian
I also experienced problem

I also experienced problem with MC75 battery clipping in poorly and 1.5x battery door not closing properly (have to apply a lot of pressure to turn the "wings").
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

joseph boriotti
Could we obtain some samples

Could we obtain some samples from you of these SIMs that don't work? We have done some testing here and not seen the problem you described. Also, please include your email as I don't know who you are from the JAM ID.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Kloentrup
I only have about 30 of them

I only have about 30 of them deployed at one customer. They are Sprint CDMA units and a significant portion of the users have issues with the keypad SPR. Many others have problems where the phone never rings or alerts them of an incoming call. Others have to 1-9 Power reset the terminals in order to end calls, even if they take the battery out and put it back in the call is still connected.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’