MC75 Clean Booting by itself

Has anyone seen this.

My customer had a very strange thing happen on 2 MC7596's with Rev B (WM 6.1). The units were completely staged with WWAN and applicaitons. They tested them, removed the batteries and shipped them out for demos.
When the units arrived at site a few days later, the Calibration screen came up. It took them a few times to try and calibrate the screen (kept on coming back to the screen). Once they got it, the units were clean booted (only Application partition remained).
We had to reconfigure the AT&T WAP connection and then downloaded the apps over the Internet.
Any ideas???
Nick Zeleznock
I also saw something strange

I also saw something strange (not sure if it is the same) where 2 units being used out in the field either lost some settings or some programs that were installed.  I have only seen this on 2 units, one twice, but they seem to be working ok now.  I am not sure what caused it.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Tim O'Saben
I've got a report Friday from

I've got a report Friday from my customer of the same issue. It seems that 10% of there MC75's are clean booting them self in the feild?? I will get more deatils today. Is there a case open on this yet?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Andrea Sada
I also have had a customer

I also have had a customer report this occuring on a number of occasions.
The customers applications disappear from the terminal as if a Clean Boot and Blank procedure has been performed.
My customer is still running on WM6.0.
I am currently monitoring and have not had a re occurance yet.

Bit of a worry that more people are reporting this. 
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Philippe Piemont
HI I had also the problem of

HI
I had also the problem of clean cold boot and blank reported several times by a big customer.
This problem has not reoccured for 2 Months ??
Could be interesting to do a poll, because when I raised a case against that problem I was alone.
And I wasn't able to provide reproduction steps.
So the case is closed for now.
Regards
Philippe

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Brian Safran
I opened a case #1843317.

I opened a case #1843317. According to support center, Engineering is aware of this problem but has not been able to recreate it.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Herbert De Jong
In EMEA support we were

In EMEA support we were approached by at least two customers/ TA's reporting this.
Phillipe Piemont and Andrea Sada, we tried to reproduce this without results.
ECRT has this on the Radar but as there are no clear reproduction steps we are stuck.

One thing reported to be in common is that devices were staged successfully and then left a couple days with depleted or without batteries.
And then staging files were missing and it looks like a cleanboot / cleanbootblank happened.

One interesting thing to know of future failures is:
- At what battery level the devices were staged
i.e.  where the batteries fully charged and or the terminals charged for a couple of hours.
- where the devices rebooted after the staging ?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hello Nick, Does it loose

Hello Nick,

Does it loose all the files or just some?

If it does a cleanboot then all the files/settings would be lost (reset) and not just some.  If loosing just some it may point to a file driver/flash issue.  This would be valuable feedback.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juan-Antonio Ma...
Has this to do with MSP or

Has this to do with MSP or does it happen regardless of the way MC75s have been staged?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ian Jobson
I've seen this happen on 2 x

I've seen this happen on 2 x MC75 wm6.0 units built manually outside of MSP (i.e. from SD cards). Initially put it down to the fact that they had not been built correctly as it was never repeated in the field, but the problem was the same as being reported by everyone else.

IJ
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dietmar Doehring
Yes we are seeing this same

Yes we are seeing this same thing in accounts around the Southeast.  We have opened case1843317 and suggest you do the same in order to track.  We are trying to get this to go to SPR but duplicating for us has been next to impossible.  Can you duplicate? 
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Nick Zeleznock
Hi Paul, Here is what my

Hi Paul,

Here is what my customer reported.  I had the device replaced and was hoping it was an isolated incident with 2 units.  So far we haven't seen this again in 2 1/2 months.

Another device was returned to me
yesterday that previously had an issue with losing it's programs and settings.
This time it didn't lose everything like it had before. Google maps starts up
but never displays maps. It still has a shortcut in Programs, however it no
longer shows up in the list of installed programs. The data wedge is working but
lost it's shortcut and is also not listed in installed programs. All of the settings in control panel appear to be ok
except the date and time which reset back to January 2007. Since this is the
second time this device had the same problem, I will be swapping it and would
like to also ship it back.

Thanks

Nick

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Herbert De Jong
This is exactly the same

This is exactly the same scenario what was reported in EMEA.
However we never reproduced this. not even on one device from customer which claimed to be failing at their side.
We also tried one device with a disconnected backup battery and then staged it with programms and let it run out of battery or re-insert fully charged battery.
Not reproduced so far.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Reginald Corpuz
There seems to be 2 scenarios

There seems to be 2 scenarios that is happening. 1) is the the MC75 cleanbootblank itself (removing the contents of the \Application) and 2) cleanboot (\Application folder is retained). 
Question:
What about the \Windows\Startup folder do you remember if files you added are retained? 
Did this happen on WM6.0 units upgraded to WM6.1 or WM6.1 terminals only?
Does the failure occur after the Main Battery was removed?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dietmar Doehring
If you like I can put a call

If you like I can put a call together with my team who is experiencing this across several accounts.  Most of the info. is already in the case doc.'s.  But yes it is WM6.1 and we are seeing two different info. loses.  One where the config. be it WAN settings, etc. are lost and another where any applications that were loaded are gone, as if someone clean booted the device.  We tripple checked that the applications, etc. were loaded properly. 

Again this is not happening to all the devices just a select few so we know we're loading them correctly with our "gold images".  At first we thought this may be a user issue or bad loading or config.'s but all of that has been verfied.

Let me know if you want to join our call today at 12:30pm EST.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dietmar Doehring
If you like I can put a call

If you like I can put a call together with my team who is experiencing this across several accounts.  Most of the info. is already in the case doc.'s.  But yes it is WM6.1 and we are seeing two different info. loses.  One where the config. be it WAN settings, etc. are lost and another where any applications that were loaded are gone, as if someone clean booted the device.  We tripple checked that the applications, etc. were loaded properly. 

Again this is not happening to all the devices just a select few so we know we're loading them correctly with our "gold images".  At first we thought this may be a user issue or bad loading or config.'s but all of that has been verfied.

Let me know if you want to join our call today at 12:30pm EST.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gene Niles
I have seen a few posts on

I have seen a few posts on this topic but so far no real repro. One theme that seems to be holding in these posts is that the battery is pulled (immediately after staging) and then the unit is not used for some time (maybe back up battery drains). I don't have time to test for this (And am opnly going by what I read in the posts) but if anyone can try the various scenarios of not warm booting and pulling a batter after and inital staging (and after a first clean boot) we may have something to make this an SPR.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dietmar Doehring
Team, Please provide any

Team,

Please provide any case numbers that you've opened in reponse to this post.  Also, if you can get your hands on a repeat MC75 unit showing these symptoms support could use it for testing - contact Reggie Corpuz or Roger Campos. 

Thanks.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Don Khan
On an initial pilot of the

On an initial pilot of the MC7596, we ran in to several issues.  One being the report of the unit in a clean boot state following a manual staging of the customer's environment. The case opened was, #: 1815919.  The units were initially deployed with WM6.0.  Following an upgrade to WM6.1, we have not had any reports of the units in this state; however, the condiiton is being monitored as the population of the deployment grows.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juan-Antonio Ma...
I have been told today that

I have been told today that one WM6.0 in Spanish Post unit has clean-booted by itself.
Their procedure is:
Staging in a central office with MSP.
Ship (with main batteries in) to postal office. Kept in boxes.
After a few days, installers go and check if MC75 work with the application.
MC75 are kept (with main batteries) in a safe place for a long time, until postmen are trained and then can use them.
We told them that MC75 should remain in cradles to get charged *one day before* being used.

But... what if ethernet cradle's slot is faulty (known issue)?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Andrea Sada
Hi There is an Open SPR on

Hi

There is an Open SPR on this issue
See SPR# 16819
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Andrea Sada
Hi There is an Open SPR on

Hi

There is an Open SPR on this issue
See SPR# 16819
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gene Niles
If anyone can get this to

If anyone can get this to occur, we'd love to hear from you. So far all attempts to do have failed. We also have a new captur tool to help with this but would need a site willing to install this as part of their staging efforts.

So far, the failure rates have been too low in order to make progress.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’