4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 1:09 PM by Sean Kennedy

Blackberry Playbook

Mike Bennett

Will applications written in RhoElements run on the Blackberry Playbook?

Mike Bennett

• Re: Blackberry Playbook
          Sean Kennedy

Hi Mike.

Sorry for the delay in a response to your question; Part of this is covered here: https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/message/7559#7559

Even though the BlackBerry Playbook is HTML5 capable, and the Web Browser is Web-Kit based.  RhoMobile does not (as yet) have a good business-case for development on this "QNX-based" firmware platform.

Unlike Android which has the "Dalvik" run-time, the BlackBerry Playbook, Q10, Z10, and Q5 use an "Android" runtime shell process to provide a similar service for "Dalvik" - built applications.

Known as "Runtime for Android Apps"  This adds a layer of support complexity (Although I find this "Dalvik" - capable runtime to be quite satisfactory.) for support and development.

I would suggest going "Native"...

I think when the business case for supporting the Blackberry Telephony platforms, and the BlackBerry/QNX CAR platforms and the ability to get a RhoMobile platform that supports this using Native-Code mode for the QNX-based platform; I think this would make the platform supportable, predicatable and from a developer point-of-view - simpler.

As one would see in recent months, Blackberry (Previously known as Research In Motion Inc.) has not had the opportunity to invest in support/development of the Playbook platform, as they are concentrating every effort to support the Telephony platform.  My Opinion about this is mixed. I really like the Playbook OSv2.x / Blackberry OS10 platform and its capabilities (NO HOME/BACK BUTTON!) are in a word: AWESOME.

But the penetration and development landscape is the main reason that the business case for BlackBerry is weak.

I am more optimistic about the Z10/Q10 platforms for RhoMobile  and even more so about the QNX-CAR platform.    

Have you had the opportunity to sit in a Tesla Model S yet?  (Caveat: Tesla developed this in-house using Linux to save on fees; but QNX has been doing this for longer.)

I see this more in-line with in-vehicle telematics for Mobile Service and Public Safety. 

QNX by its nature is quite secure and very IT friendly.

Not to mention that QNX history in automotive is extensive.

If RhoMobile showcased on QNX-CAR, I think it natural that it also could be easily extended to the Mobile Telephony/Smartphone platform as well.

-sean

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Blackberry Playbook
            Sean Kennedy

Of course, Torsten Heins announced that migrating BB10 to the Playbook is off the table.

Sad, that, the Playbook was well designed Hardware. Now it joins the like of Surface RT, and HP's WebOS tablet technology.

-sean

• Re: Blackberry Playbook
              Sean Kennedy

Not now...

-sean