MC75 need verizon data connection to remain open

12:20/04-13-2009
ASAP
MC7598
WM6.0/6.1

Partner needs to know how to maintain the Verizon data connection to remain on at all times on his MC7598.  I have this registry for GPRS:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\GPRS_CONNECTION_NAME]
"AlwaysOn" = dword:00000001

Is there one for the CDMA connection, or will the Application requiring the data connection need to maintain the connection?
Howard Laser
Gene and George, would this

Gene and George, would this overcome the 'dormant' mode issue we have been seeing reported on the MC7598/CDMA units?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Howard, Although the article

Howard,

Although the article mentions 1XRTT this applies to EVDO as well, " The AlwaysOn setting is applicable for all connections, including GPRS, 1xRTT, and others."

Gene's comment is correct in that this setting will maintain the connection at the IP/connection manager level.  If the connection is interrupted, it will attempt to reconnect following the retry logic in the article posted above.  Dormant mode is a state in CDMA networks in which the radio gives up the physical RF channel but keeps the underlying connection.  As far as connection manager is concerned the connection is still active in dormant mode.  This is designed to be completely transparent to the device and is not configurable at an application level.

John
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

George Dellaratta
Always remember this forum is

Always remember this forum is at a low priority.  So, ASAP is probably not a good time frame for an answer.  I recommend that you give this registry key a try.  It should work for CDMA/EVDO too.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Howard Laser
Sorry George, I will watch

Sorry George, I will watch the response time.
So in using this same key, just substitute the CDMA connection name from connection manager for GPRS name.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

George Dellaratta
Nothing to be sorry for, just

Nothing to be sorry for, just pointing that out.  My point was that if your need is immediate, it's best to send an IM or come down.

Yes, try replacing the GPRS connection name with the CDMA name.  I'm pretty sure the key works both ways.  Let me know if it still gives you trouble.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Meyer
Also note that Microsoft is

Also note that Microsoft is pushing people away from using registry keys, especially for Connection Manager related things like this.  XML is the official way to go.

I am not sure if CDMA is configured through CM_NetEntries or CM_PPPEntries, but each of these has an AlwaysOn characteristic (as does CM_GPRSEntries)
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gene Niles
here's some more info on this
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Howard Laser
Thanks, George.

Thanks, George.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gene Niles
I don't think so.Dormant mode

I don't think so.Dormant mode is in the CDMA sepc. This is connection mgr setting. If you want to keep out of dormant mode, you will need to keep the connection active by transferring data on the network before the dormant mode timeout occurs.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

George Dellaratta
I don't know what the

I don't know what the "dormant mode" issue is all about.  But, this registry key SHOULD prevent the device from entering dormant mode.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

George Dellaratta
HOLD ON.......I spoke too

HOLD ON.......I spoke too soon......

The always on key maintains the upper layers of the network connection.  Dormant mode refers to the physical layer and can not be avoided.  In fact, the carriers would probably get pretty upset if our terminals grabbed channels and never let them go.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Howard Laser
Gene, this statement from

Gene, this statement from Microsoft
' The AlwaysOn feature ensures that
the device always keeps the packet data connection once the user
establishes a connection, such as GPRS on GSM networks or 1xRTT on CDMA
networks
Since the CDMA 7598 are EVDO, would this mean that the EVDO connection will no be maintained?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gene Niles
I believe it is only at the

I believe it is only at the IP level and not at the radio/modem level. We should cicle back with sierra to see what they say but I just can't see a setting that steals a chanel from the network. I'll let you know what they come back with.  
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hirokazu Haga
Sierra told us in the past

Sierra told us in the past about this reg key for MC7095, CDMA radio device. I am not sure if this also applies to MC75 CDMA radio but most likely yes.

" What it does is automatically re-connect the data connection in the event that it drops.  Doing this is actually in violation of what the carriers want the device to do – they don’t want the device to be constantly connected."

Sierra also said: 

"Reviewing the document reminded me of one other side effect of enabling this feature, that is for 1x data calls when perhaps you are not in EVDO coverage:

However, you will not want to designate as AlwaysOn an active data connection that can prevent incoming calls from being received. This situation often happens with 1xRTT connections.

My points below on using this feature were simply that:

-          Verizon has specific data-retry logic, and we tested your devices with this feature disabled (which is the default)

-          If you turn this feature on, you could potentially no longer comply with Verizon’s requirements for Data Retry (Motorola would have to test this to know for certain)

-          Overall, carriers discourage the use of “always on” connections if there is no data getting sent.   Verizon and Telus are the only ones who actually test for it with their Data Retry requirements and test plan.

Bottom line is, by default the products don’t have this feature enabled.  If you enable it,  it might work but proceed at your own caution – its not a supported feature."

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’