MC9090 ActiveSync Passthrough Intermittent Failure

1.  1875869
2.  3 Day
3.  MC9090
4.  WM 5.0 BSP 43
5.  1875869

My Customer is using MC9090 WM 5.0 BSP 43, ActiveSync 4.5, and are having intermittent issues with ActiveSync Internet Passthrough on a USB ActiveSync connection with USB cradle CRD9000-1000S.

The customer is a reseller, they will stage/provision this device with their 2GB SD Card and their application and then send it out to customers.  The application relies on connecting to a internet website for info transfer.

Initially, all works fine, but at some point ActiveSync Internet Passthrough will stop working.

The customer states that in these scenarios on the same PC with same cradle and cable, they can take a different MC9090 with the exact same settings and ActiveSync it, and the ActiveSync Internet Passthrough will work.  Reinsertation of the problem unit results in a resumption of the issue.  For me this leads me to rule out any issue with the network/pc issues with ActiveSync on the PC or firewall/proxy issues.

The recovery process is varied, sometimes switching the Network Connections from My Network to The Internet and back resolves it, sometimes they have to play with the MC9090 ActiveSync settings, in extreme issues a Clean Boot and Blank or OS reflash are the only way to resolve the issue.

The customer is pressing me for a diagnosis and steps to resolve this for multiple devices, as this is generating consistent support calls on their end.

Internet research has yeilded multiple complaints on this issue even with other devices but no clear cut diagnosis and resolution is provided.

Guidance/assistance is appreciated.
Kenneth Ryan
On same device ActiveSync

On same device ActiveSync Internet Passthrough works one day, next day it does not.  No apparent cause, no reproproduction other than normal use.  Close application/prevent auto start and cold boot to try it with no apps launching does not help.

I will run some EMScripts and see what they yeild.  Thanks for the help!
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

George Dellaratta
Is the issue of concern

Is the issue of concern properly defined?
Can they provide reproduction steps?
Has any data been captured with EMScript/Symscript at the time of failure?
Can this problem be reproduced WITHOUT the customer's application?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kenneth Ryan
Attached are EMScript logs

Attached are EMScript logs from 1 unit the customer had that was unable to use ActiveSync Passhthrough.  Only a few hours (4~5) worth of data.

I applied the following KB article:
http://support.symbol.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&ext...

Initially this did resolve the issue after a cold boot of the unit, but left in the cradle overnight the unit went right back next day to not being able to do the ActiveSync passthrough.  I checked the proxy (there is none) and made sure no firewall was running.  The RNDIS is reporting an IP Address.

I have not been able to reproduce this here.

Does anything stand out on these logs that might point to something?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

George Dellaratta
At what time in this log did

At what time in this log did the terminal fail?

I went through all of the log and the IP address was always the same and always valid.  Also, there was a steady flow of TCP/IP activity.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kenneth Ryan
For the entirety of the log.

For the entirety of the log.

This unit will not ActiveSync Passthrough at all.  I had the customer install EMScript and then provide the log for a few hours.  We tried to troubleshoot and get it to work during the logging process.

Warm Boot, Cold Boot, toggling the network connections from Internet to My Network.  The previous day this was not working as well, I had the customer install a registry key on WinCE Services to disable LSP and it worked after that, but next day went back to not working.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

George Dellaratta
Do you have new logs or are

Do you have new logs or are you referring to the log attached on 1-May?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kenneth Ryan
The above refers to the log

The above refers to the log attached 1-May.

I have the customer loading EMScript on 2 more non working devices and am awaiting the logs.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

George Dellaratta
The 1-May log shows that the

The 1-May log shows that the terminal had a valid IP throughout the log and TCP activity occurred throughout the log as well.  Perhaps, this was captured at the wrong time.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kenneth Ryan
I only asked the customer to

I only asked the customer to install the EMScript the morning of May 1 after confirmation that the previous days fix of settings the WinCEServices AllowDSP to O.

The logs were pulled the same day.

The customer has since advise me the unit will no longer do ActiveSync passthrough at all now.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kenneth Ryan
More logs to come Friday

More logs to come Friday/Monday.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kenneth Ryan
Hi guys, The customer had 8

Hi guys,

The customer had 8 more units displaying this issue, I had him install EMScript on 1 of them and the log is attached.

Can anyone take a look at it?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gene Niles
The logs seem to show a valid

The logs seem to show a valid IP address each time the unit is docked. Can you provide a time stamp when the problem occurs in the logs? It would be helpful to confirm the IP address.

The problem seems to be tied to the PC settings for active Sync. Try fixing the PC's ativeSync settings under File|connection settings to match the metanetwork that the device is set to. By default the PC has it set to "automatic"

Also if/when it fails, try using the network connection via IP address AND fully quailifed name. If one works and the other doesn't this would indicate an issue with the "automatic" setting on the PC.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jarod Fox
In additional to Gene's

In additional to Gene's suggestions, what happens on the device every 15 minutes (when on DC power it is waking up every 15 minutes) and does this coincide with the problem when in the cradles?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kenneth Ryan
Hi Gene, The issue occurs

Hi Gene,

The issue occurs throughout the log.  I had them take a unit that was failing to do ActiveSync Internet Passthrough and install logging on it.

I then had them run the normal battery on how to try to get this to work.

If this is a PC side issue, why would this 1 unit fail yet another one dropped into the same cradle, cable, on the same PC work just fine?  Especially when the settings on the MC9090 are exactly the same?

I will get the other questions answered.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gene Niles
It may not be a PC issue per

It may not be a PC issue per se. (I think that's how it's spelled) but more of a consistency of settings accross the terminals. It could be that one device and the way it is configured works well with the PC settings and the other does not. I would be interesting in knowing what is their PC setting for AS and how the test of IP vs. network name works out.

Thanks,
Gene
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’