MC75 usage in hot locations

Hi Team,

I have a customer that is using the MC75 as a field service/sales mobility tool and some of their reps are located in sunny/hot places, such as Florida, Texas, and Arizona, and is complaining about seeing an overheating message.
I would love to hear back from any of you with customers in hot locations and MC75's (or MC70's), and what experiences you have had. Also, any experience with our competitor products in this environement would also be welcome.
Here is some more information about my customers envronment. The customer mentioned that when outside temperatues gets to 100 or so, of which in summer this is normal, and when their rep may leave the MC75 in the car for a short time (yes, not the brightest move, but I believe they are covering it so someone does not see the unit and steal it), they may see a warning on the MC75 screen about the battery temperature and it is overheating. We do know that it gets very hot in a locked car when it is over 100 outside, even if the window is cracked open. The customer also mentioned that after this, some of the batteries will not hold a charge for very long. I shared with the customer the operating temperature spec (14F to 122F) and storage spec (-40F to 140F), where the storage spec means the battery is removed. I understand how it would be kind of a pain to remove the battery everytime leaving the unit in the car.
The customer had MC70's field mobility experiences when working for another similar company and stated he did not seem to notice this problem before with the MC70's, even though both units have the same operating and storage spec. This customer only has MC75's at this company and does not have any MC70's to test side by side at these hot temperature locations.
I look forward to hearing  back from you on his and thanks in advance for your help with this.
Anonymous (not verified)
Paul, Is the unit plugged

Paul,

Is the unit plugged into the car charger or just sitting idle on battery power?  My guess is that this message has something to do with IEEE1725 compliance.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Nick Zeleznock
I also had a customer using

I also had a customer using the MC75 in PA that reported this issue on one unit.  I am waiting for more details behind it.  I wouldn't think we would see this in PA
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Don Khan
Pavel,           I just

Pavel,
          I just received an incident report from a recent deployment where the device was left in the vehicle for a few hours with a report of a battery temperature dialog warning.  I am trying to get the details on this incident.
Don
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Howard Laser
Paul, I was assigned your

Paul, I was assigned your case 1885765. I will try to engage David Stern for further info, He may request samples.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Alarico De Zotti
My customer Esselunga in

My customer Esselunga in Italy has reported this issue ( only one case for now).
For the charging issue, we discover for another customer SDA that both MC70 and MC75 when are in the cradle (single slot, 4 slot [that show often the issue] or charging cable)  and external temperature are above 30°- 35° after 30- 45 min inside the cradle the terminal stop charging ( you notice that the charging led is blinking more faster then normal). To solve the issue we force the terminal to go in suspend mode while charging. Normally by default the terminal on AC power wakeup even if put in suspend mode.
In this state (turned on in the cradle) we discover that the internal battery power can increase over 55° and over this limit many terminal (not all) show the behavior. To get rid just turn them off and wait 10 min and reinsert in the cradle they start to charge normally till the temperature raise again.
We set on the customer terminal that after 5 min on AC power the terminal must go in suspend mode and we fix the issue,

Cheers

Alarico 
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gene Niles
It may help to get some

It may help to get some resource tracking logs from emscript's monitouring script   http://compass.mot.com/go/emscript.
The tool will log battery temp as well as other resources and events of interest. We will need to look at the timestamps corresponding the failures to see what is going on.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Thomas Cassar
All, Make sure you have

All,

Make sure you have reviewed page 2-12 of the MC75 User Guide:

Main Battery Temperature Notifications

The temperature notification systemimplements three levels of notification when the temperature within the battery exceeds specific temperaturethresholds:

Level 1: Temperature Watch; this level is similar to mainbattery low warning. It indicates that the battery temperature has reached the firstthreshold level. The user should move to an environment within proper operating temperature.

Level 2: Temperature Warning; this level is similar to mainbattery very low warning. It indicates the battery temperature has reached the secondthreshold level. The user should stop using the MC75.

Level 3: Temperature Error; this level indicates the batteryhas reached an unusable temperature threshold andimmediately suspends the MC75. This level does not have any graphicalnotification associated with it.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Paul
There is an important

There is an important distinction between the MC70 and MC75.  The '75 is certified IEEE1725-compliant while the '70 is not.  This means among other things that the MC75 must shut down and stop drawing any significant current from the battery before the battery cells exceed their maximum allowed discharge temperature of 60 degrees Celcius, as defined by the cell manufacturer.  The reason for this is to mitigate the risk of, as we say in my politically correct world, "rapid dissassembly" of the battery.

Battery cell performance will degrade at high temperatures over extended periods of time.  I don't have any numbers relating to temperature and duration, but it is not too surprising that some of  these overheated batteries no longer perform well.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Don Khan
Well the first moderate day..

Well the first moderate day...22 degrees C and a rash of complaints of the battery and keyboard area overheating to the point where it is uncomfortable in the bare hand.

Partner's comments: "

With the onset of the warmer weather last week some of ICS’s terminals have been reporting that the device are getting very hot, mainly around the battery and keyboard, and noticing degradation in the performance of the device.

"
A case will be opened on this shortly, and I will be escalating as this does not seem to be an isolated incident.  To note, the units are docked in vehicle cradles throughout the day.  As this is a Courier application, the units do not sit in the cradle for an extended period of time.  However, I do have to verify the status of the units when not in use overnight.

Don

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Don Khan
Another customer called today

Another customer called today to say that on Monday (ultrahot and humid day in southern Ontario, Canada) the MC 75's were displaying a message stating something to the effect of"  "Warning: battery temperature above 40C" and then the device would automatically shut-off.

I know that we publish an operating spec-sheet which lists operating range of -20 to +40C.     (incidently Intermec's new CN50 which the customer is reviewing, publishes -10 to +50 C and they are considering the CN50 for the rest of the roll-out.  This introduces new risk to our deal with this customer.

What are we doing, or what can be done to mitigate this condition?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Stern
Our OS people indicated that

Our OS people indicated that our software gives no numerical indication of the battery temperature when a shut-down warning message is delivered (which occurs at about 57C).  In addition the terminal operates up to 50C as per spec.  The battery charger will not operate above 40C to protect the battery.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Don Khan
The units are being charged

The units are being charged via the O'Neil Print Pad.  Anyone else deploying a solution with the MC75 and the O'Neil Print Pad.  Anyone aware if the this combiantion has been verified?  I doubt that this combination has acheived IEEE 1725 certification!!!
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

darren kropp
The MC75 operating

The MC75 operating temperature is 14 to 122 F (or -10 to +50C).  If anyone sees a battery overheat warning at +40C please capture message via digital photo or other reliable means and report to engineering in NY.  By the way, if the battery in any MC device is subjected to elivated temperatures the battery chemistry will degrade correspondingly over time and extremes.  This will happen regardless of the terminal design and to any competitors product as well.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Marc Fluhrer
The error message my customer

The error message my customer recieved is: “ The battery is too hot, you should replace it to prevent data loss”

The outside temperature at the time was 110.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Tom, Is there somehow a

Tom,
Is there somehow a documentation on the batterytemperature notification levels

- what are the temperature-values for the different warning levels
- what is the notification type for each of the levels
Vote: 
Vote up!