Xirrus

Team,

we often come across these guys in projects  with wireless ( www.xirrus.com). Does anybody have any competitive information handy?

Thanks in advance.
Chris Devereux
Any further updated

Any further updated information on Xirrus?

Even though they use directional antennas, presumably they are still limited to 100mw EIRP in Europe?  Surely this takes away some of their "increased range" arguments?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Marcus Kurath
This is a little dated.

This is a little dated. Xirrus now has 802.11a. The biggest challenge is that they offer free site surveys.

The technology is really a bunch of AP's with directional antennas  in a single box. Ther boxes are fairly expensive, so I doubt if there is much cost savings.

As I see it, using these directional antennas is not ideal for voice. The individual antenna approach used by most vendors allows for a more uniform signal strength throughout a facility
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Marcus Kurath
I dont know if you have seen

I dont know if you have seen the attached...

Also keep the following in mind

1) Xirrus provides free site surveys....so its tough to seel this in environments where we compete
2) The overall cost of the system should be pretty close..The "cluster" of AP's in a single box is fairly expensive to build and is expensive to buy
3) They loose the ability to provide a consistent even blanket of coverage across a broad area ---ITs lots of power close in, and weak power further out. They also loose the number of  points for location based  role policy
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Topic locked