8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2012 7:20 AM by Val Palhories

Need help with Git Environment in RhoStudio

Val Palhories

Hi,

We've used Visual Source Safe and Team Foundation Server for years with Visual Studio. We're not jumping into the Rho environment and want to use Git. Is anyone aware of a step-by-step guide that shows you how to use this with RhoStudio? I've setup a temporary public account on GitHub for testing purposes and have a simple Hello World application that I've built. I want to publish my hello world to the GitHub (through RhoStudio), have one of my coworkers get the project from GitHub (again thru RhoStudio), make a change, publish the change and then I'll pull the changes in from my end again using RhoStudio.

Any help would really be appreciated. BTW, we're using Windows, not the iOS.

Thank you.

--- Val

• Re: Need help with Git Environment in RhoStudio

I hope you have rhohub account.Try creating a Project over there and you get you git repo location generated automatically,

once you have your repository,you can push the changes from local itself.

-karthik

Val Palhories

So here's where I'm at:

1. I've downloaded GitHub for Windows and installed it.
            2. I've setup Git to use C:\Work\GitHub as the local directory.
            3. I've setup RhoStudio to use E:\WorkSpace as the working directory
            4. I've created a public account on Github for the purpose of testing
            5. I create a RhoMobile project using RhoStudio and place it in E:\WorkSpace\HelloWorld

Now ....

Question #1:  What are the steps that I need to take to wire the project up with Git so that the project is committed to GitHub?

Question #2:  What are the steps that I need to take if a new developer wants to pull down the Project from GitHub using RhoStudio?

Thanks.

-- Val

I hope you have created new repository in the github otherwise follow this https://help.github.com/articles/create-a-repo

Once created,you can clone the project to any location(c:val/project)

After this,Load the same project from (c:val/project) to rhostudio

Currently ,you have synced git with rhostudio..

make your changes in the rhohub

you can even check the changes in the git by putting the command git status in the c:val/project(master)

and you can push the changes ..

-karthik

Can the Git Repo be the same directory as the WorkSpace directory in RhoStudio?

Yes you can import the project from git repository into rhostudio

-karthik

Val Palhories

Okay, I think I've got this figured out. It seems to work but something doesn't feel right. I don't get why I have to do step 10 in the Pulling down a project section. As I understand it, Git is supposed to be setup as Working Directory <=> Staging Area <=> and Git Directory (Repository). As I have it configured, I've got the working directory and staging areas the same.

Pulling down a Project

1. Start GitHub
                        2. Open the Repository on GitHup
                        3. Select Clone (Make sure that GitHub is configured to use your WorkSpace as the Repository
                        4. Start Rho
                        5. Select File -> Import -> Existing Projects Into Workspace
                        6. Browse to WorkSpace directory
                        7. Select the Project(s) you want imported into the IDE
                        8. Click Finish
                        9. Right-Click on the Project
                        10. Select Team -> Share Project
                        11. Click on Finish

Committing the Changes to GitHub

1. Right-Click on Project
                        2. Select Team -> Commit
                        3. Enter a Commit Message
                        4. Click on Commit
                        5. Right-Click on Project