4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 7:52 AM by Peter Arcuri

Randomly getting white screen and have to reboot device

David Lee

Device: MC9190, Windows CE 6, using 2.1 of the RhoElements browser.  Web app runs on server, is a ASP.Net MVC3 app.  There is quite a bit of java script - screen layout is not that complex.  Gets to the 3rd or 4th screen and I get a white screen on about every other try.  Pages are identical each time.  Runs correctly in Chome on a PC, and the Chrome debugger does not indicate any errors in the markup or the java script.  This is a big issue, as we have are close to delivering application to the customer.  Is there anything that I can do to debug this?

• Re: Randomly getting white screen and have to reboot device
          David Lee

Update: I did cold boot of the device, and reinstalled the RhoElements runtime (RhoElements 2.1.1.7.0 CE Runtime.CAB).  Am still having the same issue.  How can I delivery this solution to the customer if they have to reboot it every couple of minutes?  This is not acceptable.  Connectivity is not an issue as I am debugging while the device is cradled to my computer.

Peter Arcuri

David, if you are having to reboot the device suggests there my be related to memory usage since the Windows based devices have limited resources.

One thing you can do is to run a resource logging tool on the MC9190 to establish if the issue is truely memory related. A tool that works well on Motorola Windows Mobile and WinCE devices is eMscript. You may want to open a hepdesk ticket with Motorola if you have a service contract for your device if you are a developer for a customer, use a device from your customer. Having a service contract for the device will provide you entilement for device support, through which you can obtain the logging tool.

Loading and running the tool on the device will record memory usage amongst other resource like CPU and flash memroy as well as virtual memory and processes dump. Run your app and pull the eMscript logs out upon reproducing the issue. This will tell you if the memory ussage is contributing to the lock-up.

David Lee

It appears that the white screens may be happening because RhoElements does not like my dev environment.  The application is an hybrid app that we want to run in both PC browser and in RhoElements on a CE6 device.  The app is written in Visual Studio 2010 using ASP.Net MVC3.  I was testing on the device with it cradled, while running the app in Visual Studio using its integrated development web server.  Not sure what the VS web server does that is different from IIS, but there is obviously something.  When I deploy the app to an actual server and test pointing the device at that, then I have not had nearly as many issues.  Is nuisance to have to redeploy in order to test, but at least I am starting to feel a little better about using the RhoElements browser.