Intermec Telnet - Auto Font Sizing

Just wondering if anyone has come across a terminal emulation solution that has the ability to auto-fit the font to fit the size & shape of the mobile computer screen?

The Intermec TE application seems to have some capability to do this.  So, for example, they can offer a solution to migrate from the older square screen of the CK30 to the QVGA of a CK3, without modifying the host code in any way.  In both cases, the characters appear to fill the entire screen properly.

I know we have the capability for setting font size, bolding, etc. included with TelnetCE. Unfortunately, increasing font size scales the characters up in both directions... which still leaves a lot of blank space at the bottom of the screen when migrating from a legacy square display.  The Intermec TE app seems to have the capability to “stretch” the characters vertically as needed to get a proper fit for full QVGA use.

Ian Jobson
Mike, Potentially you could

Mike,

Potentially you could get away with this in Wavelink depending on how the screen on the host is setup.

In the wavelink configurator if you go into "Emulation Parameters" > "Emulation" > "Display" > and enable "Stretch Screen Height" and "Stretch Screen Width" this will fit the displayable screen into the space the terminal has.

I've used this a couple of times. The first time it worked really well and used up lots of the space, the second time it was rubbish and just shrunk the text into the top corner because the host was set up as a "Green Screen" type page but just used the top few lines and columns.

IJ
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
We tried the same thing at

We tried the same thing at two different customers thinking that would be a great solution, but in both cases ran into the same problem you saw where the screen was actually defined as full screen, and therefore the resizing just shrinks the text down to microscopic size…

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Catherine Cremmins
Hi Mike, I did run this same

Hi Mike,

I did run this same issue by Wavelink and they do not have the option in the client as the Intermec client does.  The only other suggestion we came up with was to possibly see if a larger font with font clipping could be used so that possibly a slightly larger font could be used but clipped and maybe just big enough to be acceptable. 

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ian Jobson
May sound silly but have you

May sound silly but have you tried using a different font?

I switched one customer to Times New Roman and managed to get much more utilisation of the screen on an MC3000 than I could with the default font.

IJ
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Thanks, Ian.  No, we haven’t

Thanks, Ian.  No, we haven’t tried that, but it sounds like a really good idea!  A “skinnier” font like Times might allow the text to better fit the longer screen…

Do you know how to set?  I see the Font Name field on the emulator setup, but there’s no drop down-options… how we can figure out what fonts to choose from (or what to type in the free-input field)?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Catherine Cremmins
The fonts available as part

The fonts available as part of the unit OS are also what is available to Wavelink.  If we need to add a specific font it can be added and called to in a .cpy font.  We do this all the time with Courier New for line drawing capabliity in Wavelink.

You should also look to use font clipping as well if need be to gain a bit more space on a character in a font.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ian Jobson
Mike, Just type the name in

Mike,

Just type the name in the free text field. If you aren't sure what fonts you have available you can cheat by going into the Options > Configure > Emulation on the terminal itself and you get a dropdown box with the options.

Attached is what we ended up with at my customer by switching to Times New Roman at 13pt with bold. Previously we had to have the default font at 12pt to get all of the rows on the screen and we were not using the right-hand 25% of the screen so it was almost unreadable.

Its not as pretty but it does the job!!

Good luck,

IJ
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Thanks again for all the help

Thanks again for all the help!

Catherine, would there be any possibility of a narrower font being available for CE?  Something like Arial Narrow on the PC?

It looks like the inter-character spacing of the CE fonts is different than that on a PC.  It turns out that the default font (Courier) is actually the most "narrow" font available (fitting in the most char per line), with or without font clipping... 

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Catherine Cremmins
That I am not sure of.  There

That I am not sure of.  There are so many fonts out there.  If you can find a .ttf file for the Arial Narrow then we could try that on the unit.  I have had customers use Lucida and other fonts that way.  After placing the .ttf file in the application directory, you would set up a .cpy file with input similar to this:     \Application\cour.ttf > \Wiindows\cour.ttf
and place the file in the Application folder. 
then you would go to the Emulation Parameters and set that new font name as the Font to use. 

If using VT emulation we also needed, when using the Courier New font, to set the Display Language for the Host Profile  to "United States (OEM) - CP437". Also, under Emulation Parameters, the Emulation->VT and HP->VT->Control Codes (Receive) value needs to be set to 7-Bit.  So basically we took the font file and called it to Windows so it was available for use. I have tried this with a few different font files and it has worked. 

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Thanks again for all the

Thanks again for all the advice and the font instructions - worked great!

I was able to track down an alternate "skinny" font set that will (hopefully!) offer customers a way to utilize as much as the screen as possible when migrating from a legacy square screen.  I've attached the fonts and some sample screenshots for reference.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Catherine Cremmins
Glad this was an option that

Glad this was an option that worked for you. Were you by chance working with Mike Gregory from GS DATA SOLUTIONS.  He was asking similar questions in support recently?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Yes - G/S Data was working

Yes - G/S Data was working with one of these customers looking for this screen resize.  Independently, we had another customer asking for the same.  G/S has a great installed base of legacy Intermec customers that we hope to migrate to Motorola.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’