Yagi for the AP650

Does anyone know what the FCC status is of the ML-2499-BYGA2-01R antenna for usage with the AP650?
Frank Barta
Hello Marc, I'm

Hello Marc,

I'm guessing you got a call from Decision Point?

We had a call come in from them earlier today for this exact inquiry. Here is what the BU sent back:

" You are correct, the antenna is not certified for use with AP650 with FCC or any other regulatory globally.  This is mainly because of high cost associated with certifications and AP650 is for indoor use only."

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Marc Fluhrer
I understand that there is a

I understand that there is a high cost, but if we do not plan on certifying the ML-2499-BYGA2-01R Antenna we need to let our customer know. If it is planned, we need to know that as well.

When we install AP’s in a warehouse, there is also usually a need for outdoor coverage. This is achieved by punching holes in the wall and leaving the AP on the inside of the facility and the antennas on the outside.

This allows for a consistent install base of access point models (all AP650’s), and not a mixed environment. If it needs to be a 7131 mounted on the inside wall to be able to use the ML-2499-BYGA2-01R, then we just need to know that.

Please advise.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

John Sellin
The AP650 isn't certified for

The AP650 isn't certified for outdoor use. Nor is the AP7131n. There is a specific outdoor sku for AP7131n in the works.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Marcus Kurath
An additional question....As

An additional question....As we add external antennas to the AP650/Ap7131, are there constraints on the spacing and positioning of the antennas.....I know 802.11N uses multiple streams, and I believe there are some antenna positioning concerns....

I dont think we can use a single 7DB yagi omni-directional in a warehouse...what would we do with the other antenna connections associated with the radio???

Any thought would be appreciated
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ritesh Patel
I will like to point out few

I will like to point out few things here and I hope this further helps clarify the matter.

1. Yagi antenna certification: Currently, there is no plan in place to get the antenna certified for use with AP650.  However, if the customer requires the use of the antenna, a proper evalutaion of effort, cost and time can be done based on the deployment scenario. 

2. AP650 use case: "... punching holes in the wall and leaving the AP on the inside of the facility and the antennas on the outside." is according to regulatory considered an outdoor deployment.  Given that AP650 is an Indoor acess point, such deployments, as mentioned above, are not recommended as doing so can put customer in violation of FCC.  This applies to the US Only SKUs (the WW SKUs are for rest of the world and not for use in US and local country regulatory regulations apply to those SKUs as per their use in a given country).

3. Antenna compatibility: Information on atenna compatibility with a given access point product line is provided in the antenna guide.  Please refer to the antenna guide v 1.5 available on support central for details.

I hope this has helped.  Please do feel free to reach out to me if there are any further questions.

Regards,
Ritesh

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Fred Randt
You also need to keep in mind

You also need to keep in mind that you will need to use lightning arrestors, even if the AP is located inside with the antennas on the outside.  This will also add some loss depending on the lightning arrestor and adaptor cables.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’