ES400 findings

Below is a list of issues/comments that I have by using the ES400 over the past 3 weeks as my primary phone.  It would be nice to know if anyone else has had the same issues.

Es400 eval issue list

1.       Calls gets placed on hold when talking (ear must touch hold button).  Better with ver 18 but still happens.

2.       Have seen the accelerometer (change of orientation) cause the contact list to display – turning the unit off and on fixed it.  Occurred in ver 16.2, have not seen it in ver 18.

3.       Battery life can last all day or half day with no major changes in use.

4.       Auto dim doesn’t work (back light)

5.       Can’t do phone number search via contracts.  Need the ability to type in the area code and first few numbers to find the number to dial.

6.       Remove bump under biometric scanner (swipes up work much better than swipes down).

7.       Windows button quit working.  Software issue.  Rebooting the device solves the issue.

8.       Need the ability to dial a meeting number from the calendar.

9.       Hitting the green phone button while in text message screen causes a dial screen to display.  This feature should be a screen button and not associated to the green button

10.   Need ability to turn off device when locked

11.   Lock screen needs to be configured for landscape mode

12.   Lock screen will not display in landscape mode after power on.

13.   Moto – screen doesn’t work with the accelerometer (will not change orientation)

1. Issue: Can access device when locked via USB connection.
    1. When device is locked via the usb connection the top menu bar can be selected to access device information.
    2. steps

i.       Have device I unlocked state

ii.      Connect device to pc via usb cable

iii.      Device will display lock screen

iv.      Select top menu bar gives you access to the device.

1. I have had IE favorites disappear after a reboot (power off and on)
  2. Nav pad in IE moves very slow in window but is fine on menu options.

Herbert De Jong
hi glenn, 1) looks like

hi glenn,

1) looks like your device either doenst have proximity sensor or it is not working.
but on DV - MV units if you put phone to your head while on a call the proximity sensor will turn off the touchscreen, so you cannot press a button on the screen.
Try while in a call to put your finger on the  two sensors next to Moto logo,  touchscreen should turn off,

2) 3)  16.2 had indeed issue with IST and showing contact lists , also had intermittent high batter drain.

4) also here looks like light sensor is not working, set backlight to auto settings and  cover the two sensors ( left is ligth sensor ) display brightness should change.

5) WM6.x  has this way of searching contacts by first letter as default. 
If you however press FN key twice and then type a number it will search that way.

6)  area of FP and camera on back of ES400 has been changed on later MV units.

7) windows physical button was not working always ok pre 18.2

8) you can dial a confcall number if it is in body of the message and if it is a valid phone number format.  that works same on all WM devices.

9) WM 6.x  has this function that while in a text message hitting green button a window will come up asking if you want to call this person.
that is the MS design  and behaves the  same on MPA 1.5 2.0  devices

10)  Turning off device while locked is disabled , when unlocked you can press power key for 5 secs and a message will appear to confirm power off.
not sure why you want that changed, because if device is locked it will never turn itself off when power key is pressed unnoticed,

11) 12) 13)  Lock screen - Moto Deck are not designed for Landscape mode currently
that is why you see it always being forced to Portrait mode in the current OS builds

For the USB connection error accessing screen,  i opened a SR item as this part is not fixed 100% correctly, good catch.

Favorites dissapear is not reported, but will keep an eye out

Nav pad has two modes, 4 way or Cursor mode.
when in 4way mode and in IE there is MS option to show cursor when navpad is used, and it is a bit slow,
Try to change to Cursor mode ( Press FN and the navmode switch key )  then you see cursor on all programs and is faster.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Galvin
Also the proximity sensor is

Also the proximity sensor is sensitive to color. Particularly dark hair may have problems. See if you see a difference with your finger. Nice response Herbert. Thanks.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Galvin
Also the proximity sensor is

Also the proximity sensor is sensitive to color. Particularly dark hair may have problems. See if you see a difference with your finger. Nice response Herbert. Thanks.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Arsen Bandurian
re #5: We should use the MDB

re #5:
We should use the MDB experience, while we still can.
There was a number of small but greatly useful enhancements on MotoQ9 (WM6.1):

In contacts and recent calls you searched simultaneously by first letters of name, surname, or by respective numbers (I.e. if "5" was on "A" key it searched not only for names with "A" but also for numbers with "5" w/o having to switch no numeric).

In any field that required numbers only (or other restricted set of symbols, like phone number entry field, which accepts numbers and "(",")","-"," " characters) the input automatically changes to numeric mode (keyboard driver?) , so you don't have to press ALT (i.e. you press "A", but keyboard driver inserts "5"). Current ES400 is a PAIN when entering phone numbers or even PIN numbers on the unlock screen!!

When entering ALT-chars on MOTOQ (numbers, math, special symbols) you just press ALT keep holding it. On ES400 you have to either lock the FN key by double-tapping it, or you have to press it EVERY time. Imagine typing some e-mail that says "we just got 12 of them". With MOTOQ you got one extra keydown (press and hold ALT before typing 12) and one extra keyup (release after 12) = one full keypress. With ES400 it's either 4 more full keypresses (lock fn, unlock fn) or 2 more keypresses (press fn before every number). Now, imagine writing "we just got 12 of them and 123+/-45 are possibly coming in next 7 to 8 days". Goodbye sanity! Also, this allows to type quicker. So, I suggest implementing a "press-and-hold" state for both FN and Shift buttons.

When using "FN lock" the "Space" key permanently becomes "Sym" key. Which again makes it a nightmare to enter a nicely formatted phone number like +123 (45) 678-9012. I suggest making space key an exception to FN lock or moving "Sym" function somewhere else.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Herbert De Jong
Arsen, There is still same

Arsen,

There is still same enhancement on ES400,  just  press a letter or number when on Motodeck or alternativly press Windows key so you are on MS honeycomb homescreen.

If you press  D  key then for example you will see all contacts starting with a D or 5

Only partly agree with you about a lock key sequence, as Q9 lacks a touchscreen there is a need for a Lock key sequence on that smartphone.
Not sure if WM support 'press-and-hold' functionality.
On ES400 there is the Lock icon on bottom of Moto deck or on the MS honeycomb homescreen, which to my opinion works very finger friendly.

On 18.x OEM versions and higher when using Moto Lock with simple PIN the lockscreen will accept numbers without having to press FN key first two times.

One other thing is that ES400 has Keyremap utility built in so it quite easy to change the behavior of FN Sym key,  just change setting from "Remap to Program" & "Program Symbol" to "Remap to Function" & "Function None"

Similar you can create a hotkey to get acces to the Power off or Lock Device app,  it is called Shutdown.exe under windows, this way you can set up  for example 'FN & scanner' to 'Remap Program to Shutdown.exe'

hope this helps.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Afshin Mansoorieh
another issue I ran into:

another issue I ran into: (running FW 18)

while on a conference call I put the ES400 on speaker.  after a few minutes device timed out.  screen went blank and keypad unresponsive but phone was still active.  but I could no longer operate the phone to take it off the speaker, make another call or look up a contact, etc... 

the only solution was to press the on/off button on top which ended the call.

Afshin
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Afshin Mansoorieh
another issue I ran into:

another issue I ran into: (running FW 18)

while on a conference call I put the ES400 on speaker.  after a few minutes device timed out.  screen went blank and keypad unresponsive but phone was still active.  but I could no longer operate the phone to take it off the speaker, make another call or look up a contact, etc... 

the only solution was to press the on/off button on top which ended the call.

Afshin
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Glenn Sayer
found a new issues: When you

found a new issues:
When you are charging the device and receive a phone call the device goes into vibrate mode and stays there even after unplugged.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Allan Herrod
I have seen the same thing

I have seen the same thing with email notifications.
I have the Sounds Profiles in the Motorola UI set to Normal.
Nowhere else I can find is there a settings to say that notifications should be via vibrate.
When I get a new Email, the device vibrates CONTINUOUSLY until I tap the screen.
Most of the time, it is at the Lock Plus screen when this happens and that is what appears when after I tap the screen to make the vibrate stop.
I did not notice this prior to using the new ES400 I got as part of the trial (BSP 18.0021).
I did not see this on the older hardware I had that was running 18.0000.
So far as I know, I have both configured the same.
Any ideas?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Sather
24 hours into the ES400 Beta,

24 hours into the ES400 Beta, 2 things.
  1. No external LED to indicate email/message waiting/missed call when the ES400 is suspended.
  2. Walking with the unit today, holding it in the "portrait" mode, the screen rotated to be upside down portrait.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Herbert De Jong
Hi Glenn, Notification on

Hi Glenn,

Notification on ES400 are setup like this by default.
- Missed call   Notification will flash 15 mins is default.  ( that is the Red Led on top of device )
- New Email, there is notification on top bar after resume.
- New SMS , Display message on screen after resume.
If you go to Settings - Sounds - Notifications you can customize this for your needs.

These Notification Settings are default across our MPA GSM devices by the way.

IST rotating upside down is indeed possible, but if you move device a bit it is recovering, the IST function must always determine the where top of device is off course.

Regarding  endless vibrate on new email or phone call  can you provide details of the UI Settings  Sound Profile settings when that is happening.
This is indeed occasionally seen on the ES400 but we didnt get  good reproduction steps so far
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Sather
Notification on ES400 are

Notification on ES400 are setup like this by default.
- Missed call   Notification will flash 15 mins is default.  ( that is the Red Led on top of device )

- New Email, there is notification on top bar after resume.
---You don't have to resume a droid for his notification.
- New SMS , Display message on screen after resume.
---You don't have to resume a droid for this notification.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Herbert De Jong
@ Ashfin, the ES400 suspends

@ Ashfin,
the ES400 suspends on a call, based on the backlight and suspend time-out settings and indeed the power key needs to be used to wake the device up,
If needed you can allow the Keyboard to be added as a wake-up source.
See settings / Power / Wakeup tab, change Other to Yes and then a keypress will wake the device.

@ Glenn,
like on other WM based devices the user can change Notifications settings if needed.
ES400 follows default MS notification settings AFAIK.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Chris, I'm also on the

Chris,

I'm also on the ES400 Employee Beta program set to kick off on the 20th.  I'm trying to get my device ready to start the beta and I'm also running into some weird things (FYI - haven't taken the plunge yet and switched my SIM card from my current phone):

1. The Input applet that should be in Start->Settings->Personal is missing.  This is the applet where you can disable WM's auto word suggest feature.  I noticed the same problem on our WM 6.5.3 builds for the MC75 and MC95.
  2. I'm trying to get the PTT button to launch the Voice Command application when pressed.  The Buttons applet in Start->Settings->Personal doesn't appear to control this button or the Camera button.  It controls the standard WM PIM buttons which the ES400 doesn't have, so I'm not sure why we even have this applet in the image.  It looks like the KeyRemap applet in the Personal group will allow me to tie the PTT button to an application.  However, when I do this I get an error message that keyFilter.exe ran into an unexpected error and will be shut down.  I'm not sure if there may be some other application that's monitoring the PTT key which then screws up the KeyRemap application.  Anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks,
Ken

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Ken,  The file required to

Ken,

The file required to enable the Input settings applet is posted at http://devcentral.motorola.com/view/22214/view.aspx . The KeyRemap utility in Settings has been flaky from the early OS build onwards but I was able to get it to remap PTT to launch an application by accessing Library and then Create New , press the PTT key and then select the application to launch. Press Save and the reboot the device and it should then use the new key definition.

Best Regards,
Ian Hatton
EMS EMEA
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Ian, Thanks for the fix on

Ian,

Thanks for the fix on the input settings applet.  I can't get the KeyRemap application working properly though.  I still keep getting the message that Keyfilter.exe encountered an unexpected error.  I've gone into the KeyRemap applet and selected the Reset All option to revert back to defaults and then performed a reboot.  As soon as the device boots back up I get the Keyfilter.exe error message again.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Sather
How do I create my own Cards

How do I create my own Cards on the ES400 home screen?  The PRG doesn't address this.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Thomas Cassar
You can not create your own

You can not create your own cards.

The only option you have is to change which programs can launch from the four dock positions.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’