4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2012 1:28 PM by Jon Tara

Is there any possibility to integrate RhoElements with existing PhoneGap application ?

Hi guys.

Sorry for dumb questions, but...

We have the Motorola MC40 device and already implemented prototype(JQM + PhoneGap).

Now our goal is to use Barcode and Credit scanner.

I’ve briefly read the RhoMobile docs and it looks like this technology is basically an alternative to PhoneGap that we actually using now.

So

1) So ideally we want to expose BarCode and Card scanners functionality as PhoneGap native plugins.
                    Is it possible to use BarCode scanner and CardReader within Java code via some drivers/java sdk or the Rho Framework is the only way ?

2) If Rho is the only way – is there any way of easy converting regular JQM app to Rho Elements app ?

Thanks

• Re: Is there any possibility to integrate RhoElements with existing PhoneGap application ?
          Peter Arcuri

Hi Chi. can't say i'm proficient with PhoneGap, but I'm certain there are several ways to integrating Motorola devices capabilities to and from PhoneGap, The driving factor would be the app design; hybrid versus native.

From a hybrid perspective your app is essentially javascript based, so nothing prevents you from simply introducing the meta tags for barcode scanning and then run your javascript-based app over RhoElements share runtime. RhoElements runtime will render javascript, JQM, html5, css, etc... and provide integration of device capabilities.

• Re: Is there any possibility to integrate RhoElements with existing PhoneGap application ?
              Jon Tara

RhoElements and PhoneGap are essentially competing technologies. Had Motorola not bought RhoMobile, I could see Rhodes having gone in the direction of integrating PhoneGap device support.

I'm not familiar with the PhoneGap support for barcode and card scanners, but perhaps you could write a compatibility layer in Javascript that would allow you to use your existing code and access underlying RhoElements or Rhodes functionality.

Seems to me it would be easier to change the code to use either RhoElements or Rhodes support for these devices.

Hector Meza

Chi, the term integrating in not accurate as phone gap is infact a frame work that allows you to take your HTML 5 app and include PhoneGap API calls then bundle the whole thing into a single "container".  Rho also has that capability plus much more.  That being said, you will need to take your exiting HTML5 application and identify the PhoneGap API's that you are calling.  The code will need to be modified for just those sections that use PhoneGap API's.  Rho had a very large and extensive API library so you should find replacement API's that can be used.

Now depending on how you want to build the application, you can leverage JS or Ruby (some HTML) to levage the rho API, I would not think it would be much effort.

So bottom line is PhoneGap API's will need to be changed to Rho API's.

Hope this helps clarify

HM