9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 10:22 AM by Lars Burgess

RhoConnect Licensing Question

I have spent tons of time trying to find out how the logistics of licensing work for your products.  This isn't very clear.  Is there some kind of pricing model

for this?  Do you pay per application or a percentage of the price of the application? Does it cost more if you use RhoHub to deploy a rhoConnect Application? I am looking into developing cross platform mobile applications, and I would like to know this information.

• Re: RhoConnect Licensing Question
          Darryn Campbell

Hi,

Yes, I agree this could be better documented and we are working towards this.  Here are the salient points:

* There are two licensing models.  Applications which use "RhoElements" APIs require licensing, the list of APIs requiring a license is here: http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhoelements/licensing#features-requiring-a-license.  These licenses can be per device or (starting in RhoElements 2.2) per application.

* Applications using RhoConnect are licensed on a per device basis.  The reason you couldn't find the documentation for this is likely because it is still listed under the old "RhoSync" branding (same product, different name).  The documentation is at http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhosync/licensing

* If your application requires both RhoConnect AND "RhoElements" APIs you can purchase a combined license.

To learn more about Sales and pricing please email rho.sales@motorolasolutions.com.

Do you pay per application or a percentage of the price of the application? Does it cost more if you use RhoHub to deploy a rhoConnect Application?

As Darryn mentioned, RhoConnect licenses are per device but they are also per-app.  You can use your RhoConnect on-premise license anywhere you want to host your app.  If you choose to host your app on RhoHub, we offer two levels of paid applications: Enterprise and Premium where the license is managed for you automatically once your have access to the paid levels.

Thank you that makes a little more sense now, but how much per device?  Most people would want to know a pricing structure before deciding to implement an application.  If it is per device it could get pretty costly.  Rather than paying a development license for the whole application itself.  From everything I could find it is $5000 for 100 users.  It scales logarithmically with increasing users: 1000 users is $10,000.  10,000 users is $20,000.  That doesn't really seem very cost effective if you have to pay 50 per user when you can only charge like $3 to $7 dollars.  I emailed sales for pricing but just got told I needed to call.  Shouldn't you have a published set of prices for everyone to see?

Thank you that makes a little more sense now, but how much per device?  Most people would want to know a pricing structure before deciding to implement an application.  If it is per device it could get pretty costly.  Rather than paying a development license for the whole application itself.  From everything I could find it is $5000 for 100 users.  It scales logarithmically with increasing users: 1000 users is $10,000.  10,000 users is $20,000.  That doesn't really seem very cost effective if you have to pay 50 per user when you can only charge like $3 to $7 dollars.  I emailed sales for pricing but just got told I needed to call.  Shouldn't you have a published set of prices for everyone to see?