QVGA support

We need your help determining the need for QVGA screen resolution going forward!

The MCD business unit is in the process of determining if a QVGA screen is needed going forward.  This issue came to light when the MC55A was announced and thus eliminating QVGA screens from the MCD line of products.  This has and will impact the Healthcare Vertical as most of the ISV’s currently don’t support VGA screens and this will eliminate Motorola devices from most HC accounts.

We have been asked to determine what the impact of not having QVGA solution going forward will do to our sales.  If you have accounts that need a QVGA solution please let us know, not be just HC accounts.  Please list all lost and potential losses without Motorola having QVGA solution.

• Please provide
    • Account Name
    • Device
    • Number of units
    • Total Size of deal – ADC, MCD, WID, …
    • If lost deal, to whom
    • Account Manager

It is looking like this is our last chance to come up with a QVGA solution as it is coming to a head now.  If you see this as impacting your sales now and in the future please let us know and also communicate this need up thru your management!

Nick Zeleznock
Account Name- Sentara Health

• Account Name- Sentara Health
  • Device- MC9590
  • Number of units- 1000
  • Total Size of deal –MCD 1000
  • If lost deal, to whom- Honeywell they can support both VGA and QVGA with Dolphin 9700HC
  • Account Manager- Thad Betz

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pavel Bodjanac
I am hearing that WinCE OS

I am hearing that WinCE OS supports screen zoom to allow QVGA applications to look just fine on a VGA screen. The entire screen zooms, and not just the font ... addressing the problem running QVGA apps on a VGA screen where you try to adjust the font for the VGA screen but application is still out of whack and unusable. 

I understand that WinMobile OS does not support screen zoom. But all our brick versions are WinMoble and we have this issue, while our competition offer bricks in WinCE and WinMobile ...

Wouldn't it be great if we can stay with the better/brighter VGA screens but offer our brick product with both OS versions of WinCE and WinMobile? Or if not, have the BU come up with a Motorola customized screen zoom application to work with our VGA screen and WinMoble OS, and not rely only on what is only offered by Microsoft?

I have an account now where the customer has a QVGA web based application that needs to run on both legacy QVGA devices and newer VGA devices, and they want a brick. They tried the MC95 but can't use it because of the WinMoble OS and lack of screen zoom support. They tested the Teklogix X10 with VGA and it works fine because it has WinCE and supports the screen zoom.

We are going back in on Thursday with the MC9090 WinCE gun to see if this device with screen zoom can work OK and also try to convince the customer to use a gun and not a brick ...

If it does, why don't we offer WinCE versions for our MC95, MC75A, MC65, MC55A , or the BU creates a custom screen zoom app for us, and this all goes away ... right???

Account Name

• Account Name - Retail store that can be named privately if needed (not broadcasted)
  • Device - may lose MC95, trying MC9090 WinCE
  • Number of units - 200 plus units
  • Total Size of deal – ADC, MCD, WID, … - MCD and ADC, including WT4090's
  • If lost deal, to whom - posibly to Techlogix X10
  • Account Manager - Kim Zevchik

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hayden Eastman
Account Name - Coke Bottlers

• Account Name - Coke Bottlers
  • Device -MC65
  • Number of units - 2500 - 3000
  • Total Size of deal –  MCD 2500 - 3000 
  • Intermec CS40 which has a QVGA screen only but the ISV who resells both devices, has not budgeted for updating their software to support full VGA and are reluctant to give us a commitment to do it.
  • Account Manager - Jim Sermonet

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

William Perryman
Account Name - Mediacom

• Account Name - Mediacom
  • Device -MC9500
  • Number of units-300
  • Total Size of deal – $600K
  • If lost deal, to whom -Honeywell 9900
  • Account Manager -Melissa Reed

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

KEN LIM
Account Name - National

• Account Name - National Health Group
  • Device - MC5590
  • Number of units - 600
  • Total Size of deal - MCD 2,000
  • If lost deal, to whom - Intermec
  • Account Manager - Yvonne LIM

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chandan Bettahalli
Hi Pavel, You mentioned

Hi Pavel,
You mentioned about screen zoom feature on CE Operating System.

-----
I am hearing that WinCE OS supports screen zoom to allow QVGA applications to look just fine on a VGA screen. The entire screen zooms, and not just the font ... addressing the problem running QVGA apps on a VGA screen where you try to adjust the font for the VGA screen but application is still out of whack and unusable. 
-----

Can you let us know where you get this info? Are you talking about Internet Explorer 6.0 zoom functionality or something else? and this feature available on which flavour of CE?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Glenn Sayer
I did find a Zooming software

I did find a Zooming software that zooms the whole screen.  Give it a try.

http://www.visualit.co.uk/PocketPC/zoom.htm#

I also found a zoom feature on the MC95.  Select the upper bar in the upper left corner.  A magnifying glass should appear.  Selecting this will also do a zoom of the screen.

These are not fixes for the QVGA issue but can help.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
FYI - Just learned on the EME

FYI - Just learned on the EME TA Conference that there is a custom OS build for MC75 with QVGA support - made for one of Turkey projects.

Reach Nancy Sicari from CPR group for more information.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pavel Bodjanac
Glen - Thanks for the zoom

Glen - Thanks for the zoom app link and info. As discussed, I will check if the zoom feature is from the zoom app or native within the MC95.

Chandan Bettahalli - I am finding more information about this daily and will get first hand knowledge when on site tomorrow. Partner application uses RDP (remote desktop) client to open a session connection to Application server. I'm no expert on this and from Googling RDP, discussion boards/forums indicate Microsoft left the zoom feature in the RDP client within WinCE but took the zoom feature out of the RDP client within Win Mobile starting with WM6.1. Partner is saying Teklogix X10 (I think it is the XT10) is able to zoom with the RDP in their device (which has WinCE 6.0) and seems to agree with what I saw in my googling effort. I will hope to see it in use tomorrow and understand more at that time.

I failed to mention earlier that the MC9090G has QVGA, so regadless of which OS we use it should screen size OK. Hope we can convince the customer to use gun and instead of brick ...

Thanks.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Steve Schmid
Ken LIM, You cite National

Ken LIM,

You cite National Health Group as an MC5590 loss to Intermec ... this may well be HOWEVER it cannot be attributed to display resoution as the MC5590 sports a QVGA display.  Please clarify.

Thanks,
Steve Schmid
MCD Product Management
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hello Small correction for

Hello

Small correction for this issue. The QVGA solution was developed for PEPSI US and we tested it on our BAT project without any problem.
But It's only for MC75 not for MC75A and it's only for WM6.1.
So it's a temporary solution and I agree that we need to have a kind of software switch between VGA and QVGA.
Of course you all at the same position where the developers or customers don't wish to change their existing applications while they're upgrading or buying some add-on for their terminals.

• Account Name: BAT
  • Device : MC75
  • Number of units : 1300
  • Total Size of deal – ADC, MCD, WID, …  +$1500K
  • If lost deal, to whom : Intermec or others with QVGA support
  • Account Manager : Tarık Ertugrul

I wish to mention that there will be similar for JTI, Imperial tobacco and others which they're using our partners developed application. And I'm sure that it will be very difficult to deploy latest updates,patches etc with this kind of "customised" OS.

Also Yes Nancy Sicari is the right person.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Patrick Cassell
If we were to have an

If we were to have an application that allows us to zoom to QVGA from VGA, it would be nice if it worked like Datawedge, were we can select the application that needs the zoom functions when they are on top and allows other applications that make use of the full VGA screen to operate normally. I have two HC customers that are considering MC55 devices right now, their application do not display correctly on the full VGA screens. They are both planning to use multiple applications, some are legacy QVGA and some are VGA capable...

This "zoom" application should also allow us to control its appearance and if the user would be allowed to change and settings or exit the zoom application (probably through a seiries of registry settings).

• Account Name: Alaska Native Medical Center
  • Device: MC55
  • Number of units: ~200
  • Total Size of deal:MCD $250,000
  • If lost deal, to whom: At Risk - in evaluation now.
  • Account Manager: Brad Stevenson

• Account Name: Providence Hospital - Anchorage, AK
  • Device: MC55 
  • Number of units: ~200 
  • Total Size of deal: MCD $250,000 - ADC $100,00
  • If lost deal, to whom: At Risk - in evaluation now.
  • Account Manager: Brad Stevenson

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Daniel Teeters
This week I was at another

This week I was at another Health Care Device Fair, our competation was telling the Medical Staff they have resolved the QVGA issue by allowing you to choose either VGA or QVGA on there devices.  

If we are going to compete in Health Care, we need some kind of Software selection between QVGA and VGA on the MC75a-HC device.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gregory Carras
Account Name: Mercedes

• Account Name: Mercedes
  • Device : MC95
  • Number of units : 650
  • Total Size of deal – ADC, MCD, WID, …  +$1.2M
  • If lost deal, to whom : Intermec or others with QVGA support
  • Account Manager : Gary Davis

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juergen Schirp
It looks like that f.e.

It looks like that f.e. Datalogic can switch with a config tool on their devices the resolution QVGA <-> VGA.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Team, Have anybody found a

Team,

Have anybody found a solution? No more message since November...

Customer: O'Key retail chain (currently using 9090 short)
Device: MC95
Project size: 300 units
AM: Andrey Khaustov
Competitor: Datalogic

CE6 on my demo MC9100 has the applet to switch the resolution from VGA to QVGA. As the platform is the same then it's not a hardware limitation so should be possible to implement similar on WM, no?

Regards,
Valery
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Glenn Sayer
Valery, The MC95 device with

Valery,

The MC95 device with the non PenTile screen has the ability to be a QVGA screen.  This can be accomplished via a new Image load.  It is my understanding that this Image exists but will be a custom Image and thus your customer will be locked in to this Image.

Question for you.  The mc9100 CE image has the ability to display QVGA.  How is this done?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Re CE ability to swtitch

Re CE ability to swtitch between VGA and QVGA - this is a good question but I have no idea why it has been implemented on CE only. All I know is that there is an applet in control panel that does the trick...

As fas as I've learned from all replies to me both in the forum and direct there is NO standard solution for our WM-based MCs and there are no plans to have it... Which is no good.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Glenn/Valery,      The QVGA

Glenn/Valery,

The QVGA/VGA switch on the 9100CE OS build is accomplished via changing the display driver used at boot i.e. you make the change in the Settings applet and then reboot the device to use the new display driver. I have been told that the same technique cannot be used for Windows Mobile so we have to build custom OS versions with VGA drivers only in order to meet specific customer requirements.

Personally I have not seen any other WM devices where the QVGA/VGA switch is possible but it would be interesting to hear whether anyone has seen this facility on a competitive unit in the field since this would prove that there is some way to implement it.

Best Regards,
Ian Hatton
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’