MC75A Not waking up from suspend

1) Time/Date 11/16/2010 11:30am
2) Response time 3 days
3) Product MC75A
4) OS Version WM6.5, BSP23
5) Clarify Case # 2255233

Coca Cola Romania bought 2 months ago 360 pieces MC75A6-P4CSWRRA9WR and they are now facing following issue:

<DESCRIPTION>
Around 30% of the devices have a problem after entering into stand-by mode (suspended automatically after timeout).

The description is the following:

- Some devices, fully charged or more than 70% battery charged, after entering into stand-by can't be resumed by power button. We checked and the settings are default, no key have been re-assigned. For one device only we tried the cold reboot sequence(1+9+Power button ) and device restarted. For all the others we took out the battery, wait a while and then re-inserted. The effect was that device restarted and we could work again normally.

- Two devices were completely blocked, even if we tried both methods. We manage finally to made them work, after we took out the battery and wait for a long time (hours or day) and than put again the battery

- The behavior is hard to simulate as it looks random (after taking out battery this not affecting the same devices, but take this as an assumption as records of incidents are not yet centralised and simulation started with few usage of devices), we will try to find 2-3 pcs and keep them for you debugging.
</DESCRIPTION>

I was thinking about asking them for RT-Log but I am not sure what is the key sequence for MC75A to save it.

Do you have any other suggestions (beside getting samples) to check or try?

Thanks,
Petr
Gene Niles
you can try emscript to see

you can try emscript to see if the device is truly not waking up or just keeping the screen off

We also have a high priority dump app that would allow a user to trigger a dr watson dump to see what is running during the "lockup". The tool is on the ECSG compass site but we may need need tweak the setting (.reg file) to support the mc95.

For now, see what the emscript logs show around the time of failure.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Petr Selinger
Hello Gene, they have sent

Hello Gene,
they have sent me one device from field which was not able to wake up. By the time it came here the battery was already flat so once I put it in a cradle the device woke up normally. I was however able to collect RT Log from it. Would it be possible to have a look at it (attached) if there is anything abnormal?

Regarding the emScript logs, it is not easy to get them as you need to install it on every device, because you don't know which one will potentially fail.

As this issue will escalate soon, should I advise them to register for ESCG opportunity?

Thanks,
Petr
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

George Dellaratta
The maintenance release which

The maintenance release which is scheduled for posting in Q1 2011 contains a fix from Microsoft which resolves this issue for WM6.5
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Petr Selinger
Thanks George. Where can I

Thanks George. Where can I find more info about the issue? Was an SPR opened for it? Coke will for sure ask for further information as this is now critical for them. Is it also possible to get any hot fix for testing in advance? I am sure they will ask for it as they are in the middle of roll out and I am not sure if they are willing to wait till Q1 2011.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

George Dellaratta
There was no SPR opened for

There was no SPR opened for this as it was uncovered in development and I have no further information.  For a pre-release copy of the OS, you'd need to contact the maintenance release team
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Aleksandr Dekhtyar
George, is this Microsoft

George, is this Microsoft finding generic to the 6.5 or particular devices / platform related?
I have the same problem reported with MC75 and MC65 WM 6.5
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Petr Selinger
And I have another customer

And I have another customer with MC3190 CE6.0 reporting the same thing. They are interested which QFE fixes the issue and if it's mentioned in this Beta OS release notes.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Meyer
Microsoft has never said that

Microsoft has never said that this bug exists in CE 6.0, but it could be across platforms on WM 6.5 (its a database flush during suspend that locks up, so its not specific to any product).

Dave
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Petr Selinger
Dave, Coke is asking if the

Dave, Coke is asking if the fix can be released as a separate fix, not as the whole OS image. Is something like that possible? Thanks, Petr
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Meyer
The updates from Microsoft

The updates from Microsoft are built into a full AKU, which means a new OS.  There is no way to break out the fix from the OS.

The maintenance release will be needed.  It may be worth seeing if this customer can join a beta to start testing out a new OS now to see if their problem is corrected by the new OS.

Dave
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’