4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2013 11:55 AM by Andraž Stošić

Prefered CSS/javascript framework

Andraž Stošić

Hi,

which mobile (css/javascript) framework do you recomend for building rhoelements web app interface? I've tried jquery mobile which works okay on newer MSI devices but on older the interface is to slow for smooth work. Any recomendations are welcome.

Thanks!

• Re: Prefered CSS/javascript framework
          Peter Arcuri

Styling libraries are very resource heavy and so some of the under powered devices may show appa running slowly. While jqMobi is one of the fastest of its kind, it has a limited feature-set compared to other styling libraries.

Since RhoMobile is based on MVC you could introduce a separate set of views specifically for those under powered Window Mobile devices. Note, when creating an app the scaffoldings creates a separate view for BB. You can replicate this model for WM and use this view when the app is running on WM. IN this separate view one has the option to include the appropriate styling libraries or none - for that matter. If you elect not to use any styling libraries, then straight HTML could be used. Be aware though some HTML5 features such as gradient and transient features will require a high degree of CPU cycles, for which under powered devices may have difficulties in furnishing.

Andraž Stošić

Okay i get it. But this is in case where i'm building naitive apps. What to do when i whish to build web app and only use RhoElements shared runtime to run it on Motorola devices.

Regards!

Peter Arcuri

In that case you can use whatever web development tools or text editor and styling libraries you wish. As for any rendering engines (browsers) you may want to use HTML5 features that are supported by the browser. One tool I use to determine if the browser supports the feature set I plan on using is http://html5test.com site. RhoElements shared runtime's rendering engine support a great deal of HTML5 features, therefore rendering features of choosen styling libraries shouldn't be a problem. However, be cognaziant of the power certain features requires for rendering.

When creating your stylish web-based app you could leverage devices capabilities through HTML meta tag and javascript APIs. See API matix:

http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhoelements/apicompatibility

At the end of the day, whether you're developing straight web apps or native apps you need to be mindful of the cpu and memory resources of the device you plan on deploying your app.That said, a lot of what I covered in my previous post around native apps applies here.

Message was edited by: Peter Arcuri