3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 9:30 PM by Chris Klopper

Rhomobile and cross-platform hybrid apps

I have been reading as much as I can since discovering Rhomobile a few days ago. Clearly I have a lot more to read still. What I read refers often/mostly to native app development. In the initial promotional material there was strong indication that cross platform apps can be developed using HTML5 and CSS3 and JQuery (only) in RhoStudio. Is that true or am I missing a point somewhere?

• Re: Rhomobile and cross-platform hybrid apps

I missed (and just read) all about RhoElements. Moving on then........

Jon Tara

It's impossible to create cross-platform (or single-platform, for that matter...) hybrid apps using only HTML5, CSS3, and jQuery, with RhoStudio, or any other tool.

You need at least a native wrapper, and Javascript extensions for access to any native functions you want exposed. (If working only in Javascript.)

PhoneGap is an alternative that will let you work in a pure-Javascript environment (as will RhoElements.)

Rhodes lets your work in a mixed Javascript/Ruby environment very similar to building a Rails website.

Rhodes doesn't support creation of websites or webapps. Nor does Phonegap. However, if you use no native features, then you can drop a pure HTML/CSS/Javascript website into a Phonegap app. Once you start using native features, you won't be able to retain those features on the website or in the webapp.

The impression I got and the one that migrated me in this direction is based on the following promo blurb: "You can either spend a lot of time and money creating and managing different versions of each application — or you can get Motorola Solutions' RhoMobile Suite, the HTML5 application development platform built to meet the needs of the next generation of business mobility."  Indeed it becomes even more specific in a brochure " While other web applications are not available without a wireless connection, RhoMobile Suite enables the creation of both hybrid and native HTML5 applications that remain available regardless of connection state."  Rhoelements is a tickboc in Rhostudio and I do not understand the sentence "It's impossible to create cross-platform (or single-platform, for that matter...) hybrid apps using only HTML5, CSS3, and jQuery, with RhoStudio, or any other tool." The problem with this space in general is that it reinvents itself every week and it is difficult to distinguish between what is possible and impossible. Some clarity would be a great time-saver.