4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2013 8:34 AM by Chris Klopper

Bob your mailbox is full

Hi Robert: Hope you find a moment to look at my question.

I have read what I can and looked some videos. Let me check if I understand correctly: "I want to build a hybrid app for a client using HTML5 CSS3 and some JQ***. It needs a wrapper. I probably do not want to use native device capabilities. Then I want to deploy the app where the clients reps and customers can get at it. A private enterprise app. Android appstore and Apple appstore is an option but I thought there is a Rho solution where clients can access apps. Then I want to push some updates from time to time." Is all of this possible in the Rhomobile Studio environment or am I mistaken?  Chris - syntagmresearch@gmail.com [this message was rejected]

• Re: Bob your mailbox is full
          Robert Galvin

Hi Chris

You can effectively just built a skeleton Rho app that simply uses our Webview api to point to you pages (whether they are local or remote on a server. Then build for both iOS and Android which will appear as a native application. Then when you update the app, you can rebuild and update the new versoin to the relevant app stores or provide the APK or .IPA file to the enterprises for there deployment. APK's can be distributed directly and enterprises tend to have various ways of deploying. .IPA or iOS apps for Enterprise are distributed with a special arrangement between the customer and iOS. You can also look at RhoHub which allows you to do some distribution of your apps as well.

Rob

Jon Tara

To clarify Robert's response, Motorola Solutions has their own distribution mechanism for Enterprise, but it doesn't support iOS, because it's not possible on iOS without a jailbreak.

On iOS, you will need to join one of the Apple iOS Developer programs in any case. Then you have three choices for distribution:

1. App Store. Your app will have to be approved by Apple.

2. Ad-Hoc Distribution. You can distribute your app to up to 100 devices. You need to get the UUID of each device from the user and register the device on Apple's provisioning portal.

3. Enterprise distribution. You need to join the Enterprise Developer Program (a bit more expensive than the regular Developer Program, but not that much more, I think like $300/year vs. $100).

You can distribute from your own "store". Your apps are not subject to approval by Apple. You can only distribute to your own employees.

Those are the only possibilities, and it has nothing to do with the capabilities of Rhodes. This goes for any iOS app.

It sounds to me like you might be better off just creating a "webapp". The user navigates to your website, and hits the middle arrow button in Mobile Safari. One of the choices is "Add to Home Screen". This will create an icon on their home screen. When they touch that icon, your site will be opened in "full-screen" mode. There is no "browser chrome", so it looks like an app. In fact, it is an app, because the iOS device automatically builds a native wrapper around it.

You only need to create a "manifest file" which lists all of the URLs that you want it to load. iOS will fetch those URLs from your site and store them on the device. So, the Internet is not needed when they open your webapp, as long as you have listed all of your URLs in the manifest.

This is a Webapp, though, not a Hybrid App. A Hybrid App is a native app that is installed as a native app, and uses a webview with HTML/CSS/JS for the UI, but is also able to use native capabilities. Webapps give you no possibility of native capabilties.

Rhodes can't help you build a Webapp, and isn't necessary for that. All you need is a text editor. Feel free to add jQuery Mobile or some other Javascript library or libraries if you wish.

Just search Google, etc. for "webapp". If you are going to create a webapp for iOS, I highly suggest you join Apple's Safari Developer's Program, which is free, and then you will have access to their documentation and support forums. There are some specific features of Mobile Safari that you will want to know about.

Thank you for a much appreciated reply. In South Africa we do not have sustained reliable bandwidth to mobile handsets. It is therefore appealing to build and deploy an app to reduce the reliance on bandwidth. In my own case hybrid apps (not native) is the only real option. I do like the idea that Motorola has recognised the need for enterprise apps. Sir TimBL has just pointed out that an HTML5 page is in reality a computer and that being the case we are surely moving on from the gaming paradigm?

Robert: I know you are probably very busy and appreciate your reply that much more. Thank you.