2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 3:12 AM by Marc Logemann

RhoElements (as replacement for CETerm) questions

Marc Logemann

Hi,

short info on our background: We are developing HTML based apps for Symbol/Motorola devices for at least 6 years. So far we are using a 3rd party browser called Naurtech CETerm which gives us decent access to scanner hardware. All fine but now i stumbled upon RhoElements i am dazzled how many cool features this thing has. Alone the HTML5 support is incredible and all those hardware JS features. Wow! Just for the record, we have no intent to develop native apps with Rho and we dont want to use RhoMobile as a framework.

Currently our customer base is mainly using MC50/70 or 55/75 devices. Since we are selling our own products and also do custom development. We need to figure out from case to case which kind of license we need. (device or app license). But now to the questions:

1) Are the mentioned devices supported by RhoElements and if yes, are they supported with latest and greatest features?

2) Do i get it right that RhoElements is something like a browser which is a program itself on the device?

3) Is the prefered way of installing it to the device via getting the Runtime from the RhoMobile Suite?

4) We will also develop for the SB1. Is the API the same?

Sad that i only recently noticed this framework at all because it seems so much better than MPB (SPB). Back then we opted for CETerm because we felt it was superior. But now RhoElements seems by far the best fit for us "web" based developers.

Marc

• Re: RhoElements (as replacement for CETerm) questions
          Robert Galvin

Hi Marc,

First, welcome to the community. Let me see if I can answer your questions inline below.

Marc Logemann wrote:

Hi,

short info on our background: We are developing HTML based apps for Symbol/Motorola devices for at least 6 years. So far we are using a 3rd party browser called Naurtech CETerm which gives us decent access to scanner hardware. All fine but now i stumbled upon RhoElements i am dazzled how many cool features this thing has. Alone the HTML5 support is incredible and all those hardware JS features. Wow! Just for the record, we have no intent to develop native apps with Rho and we dont want to use RhoMobile as a framework.

Currently our customer base is mainly using MC50/70 or 55/75 devices. Since we are selling our own products and also do custom development. We need to figure out from case to case which kind of license we need. (device or app license). But now to the questions:

1) Are the mentioned devices supported by RhoElements and if yes, are they supported with latest and greatest features?

Yes the devices that are listed is supported by RhoElements with the latest and greatest features

2) Do i get it right that RhoElements is something like a browser which is a program itself on the device?

It sounds like you are familiar with Symbol Pocket browser. RhoElements took this concept, replaced the rendering engine on Windows Mobile/CE with a modern Webkit engine and added lots of functionality. It is not meant to be a browser per se, but a "browser like" container that will allows HTML based apps to run.

3) Is the prefered way of installing it to the device via getting the Runtime from the RhoMobile Suite?

Yes the Runtime is needed to be on the device. You then configure the config.xml file to point to your HTMl app whether that be a set of local files also included on the device or on a web server.

4) We will also develop for the SB1. Is the API the same?

For the SB1 there is a subset of RhoElement API's that are available, plus other JS/CSS libraries that you will need. The concept is the same however, the Apps on the SB1 are html based as well, whether local or remote. I would suggest that you review the last webinar that I did on the subject.

Sad that i only recently noticed this framework at all because it seems so much better than MPB (SPB). Back then we opted for CETerm because we felt it was superior. But now RhoElements seems by far the best fit for us "web" based developers.

Be sure to also look at docs found at: http://docs.rhomobile.com/

Marc

• RhoElements (as replacement for CETerm) questions
            Marc Logemann

Thanks for your answers. We fully got the whole concept now because we did some first tests with the runtime on a MC75. Our SB1 experience on the other hand is not that good. Support and docs seems a little bit rough but most likely its because the device is too new.