4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 5:38 AM by Adel Sari

Rhoconnect-push-service on SB1

Adel Sari

Hi, i am waitting for the developer back housing kit to start developping on SB1 device, so i didn't make any test for the moment, just i watch the dedicated webinar, and i read the docs.

i have web service with .Net plugin which synchronize with an ET1 via Rhoconnect server (for this side the tests are ok), Rhoconnect-push works fine too.

now i wonder, if i want to synchronize with the SB1, is it possible ? can i install the rhoconnect-push-service on the SB1, or it's preinstalled ? where to define sync parameters: syncserver, rhoconnect_push_server and rhoconnect_push_appname ?

thanks.

• Re: Rhoconnect-push-service on SB1
          Hector Meza

Very happy to hear that you have had a chance to work with Rhoconnect on the ET1, now as for you question on the SB1 and RhoConnect - the SB1 is a very task specific device that supports web/hybrid application but not native so you would not be storing local data on this device.  Hence no Rhoconnect requred as you will not have a native application.  The interface to the device is very specific as you will be going thru the shell which will leverage the asl.js lib.  The O/S is not intented to be exposed for this unit - all applications are to be build around the shell via Rho.  To my knowledge, the current version of Rho on the SB1 does not support rhoconnect-push-service.

HM

Adel Sari

Hi Hector, thanks for making this point clear for me, i agree with you that on SB1 we can't run native applications, just html5 based apps; and as you know WebSQL is part of html5, so why we can't store data locally ?

in the SB1 developer guide you find:

RhoElements implements the WebSQL specification that was until recently part of the HTML5 Draft. WebSQL provides an SQLite interface for managing client-side databases using SQL. This can be used within RhoElements, accessed via JavaScript, to store local data generated or used by the web application.

thanks.

Hector Meza

Adel, your point on using WebSQL is a valid option but you will need to handle the the data within you web app.  The SB1 has been designed to only allow web app access via the config file.  You can not load a Native application - hence Using RhoStudio to create the application with hooks into RhoConnect is not an option.  This would require the you to handle all the data (no rhoconnect).  The other thing to consider is that  the SB1 is limited on space - you only have the user disk - so large data sets will potentially be an issue.  The limitation is all on the SB1 as it has been designed to only allow web apps with a unique shell - think low cost, task based apps (Retail focused market - Work force management, price look up, etc).