nine patch image Splash Screen

// Expert user has replied.
F Fernando Coelho da Silva 2 years 11 months ago
9 5 0

Staff Someone could tell me if the Rhomobile supports Nine patch image on the Splash Screen? Is there any solution that also functions as the phonegap work?

Please register or login to post a reply

5 Replies

J Jon Tara

What's a Nine patch image?

You have your choice. You can display a PNG. Or you can display a web page.

Can you make a "nine patch image" on a web page?

I've never had much luck using a web page for splash, though. It kind of defeats the purpose of a splash screen - something simple and easy to display while the system is initializing. A web page isn't something simple and easy to display while the system in initializing. You have to wait until at least enough of the system is there to show a web page.

J Jon Tara

If you use a webpage for splash, you can use an SVG. But webpage for splash is not such a smooth experience in Rhodes. I would never use it.

I just make sure I have my splash screen in some vector format (suggest Adobe AI) and then resize it for each iOS device.

Android does present a problem in that regard. There are no standard sizes. I'd just make a big PNG and let it scale/center.

W Wellington Oliveira

Draw 9-patch | Android Developers

9 patch image provided in a unique image to adapt your splash screen, buttons, etc, to any size.
This is helpful for splash because your image is automatically resize for any screen device.
On android SDK, open folder tools and open draw9patch, this is a tool to create a 9 patch image.
However, rhodes don't support it.

W Wellington Oliveira

Another thing, if you want to take a look at the application that I developed with Fernando in Rhodes, it is that we're hard to make a splash screen compatible with any screen for android, in iphone we do not have this problem.

Guia Médico Nacional Unimed - Android Apps on Google Play

P Pietro Francesco Maggi

The splash screen is handle by the source in the SplashScreen.java source available on github (and in the rhodes gem).

You can have a couple of option if you need something different:

avoid to use a fixed image, and use the loading.html file (with some CSS or SVG to provide a scalable image).
add a third type of splash screen content (based on the nine patch content) and use it (and make a pull request to the github open source project to get a good karma :-)

~Pietro

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?