4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2014 10:15 AM by Laurie Borlase

Using the EMDK for .net 2.8

Laurie Borlase

Hello

I am new to VS2008.  I have worked with the VB examples in the EMDK and Built projects and created .cab install files for the sample programs (vB_barcodeSample1 and vB_RFID3Sample6).

I debugged them on the device and deployed them to the MC3190Z terminal and they worked so I know I have my environment working.

I need to build an app from scratch and I am at a loss about how to integrate the symbol API's into the program.

Is there any documentation on the steps to build an app from scratch using VS 2008 (VB) and the EMDK?

For example: I have built a single form app.  I need to add the ability to scan a barcode into a text box on the form.

Thank you

Laurie Borlase

• Re: Using the EMDK for .net 2.8
          Daniel Silva

Take a look at the help file that comes with the EMDK.  Up the top there's an EMDK for .NET introduction section.  I will post a snippet below. You might also look at the "Symbol Design Time Components" section.  There a few design time components (like Barcode) you can just drag onto your form from the toolbox like other form components (textbox, etc).  These are easier to implement, but are limited in functionality.  Might do everything you need though.

Usage

Developing Applications that use the Enterprise Mobility Developer Kit
          Once this package has been installed, creating .NET Compact Framework Applications that target Enterprise Mobility Developer Kit is fairly simple. Follow the steps below to create a new Symbol enabled .NET application.

1. Create a new "Smart Device Application" project that use either the Microsoft(R) Visual Basic.NET or Microsoft(R) Visual C# languages.
          2. From the "Project" pull-down menu select "Add Reference...".
          3. From the list of .NET assemblies, select the "Symbol" assembly as well as the particular EMDK assembly that matches the functionality you would like to develop with (Example: For barcode scanning applications select "Symbol" and "Symbol.Barcode").
          4. Begin programming your application. Refer to the Enterprise Mobility Developer Kit API documentation for information on the methods and properties of each class.
              Laurie Borlase

Daniel

Thank you for your comments.  I am still stumped.

I created a Smart device App in VB for a Windows

I added the reference to Symbol.

I added the reference to Symbol.Barcode2.DesignC35.dll

According to the help file, I should see a Motorola section in the Toolbox to drag and drop tools onto the form.

I do not have a Motorola section in the toolbox.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Laurie Borlase

Daniel Silva

I have the Motorola section up at the top of the toolbox.  I didn't do anything special to put it there.  I know sometimes there are issues if you update some Visual Studio components after you have already installed the EMDK.  Take look down near the bottom of the readme file that comes in the EMDK at the Installation section and make sure you have all of the required components.  Then you might need to uninstall and reinstall the EMDK.