Deploy production Rhoconnect to a Windows Server

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been answered yet so please forgive me if it has been.

The only reference I can find to it is a reponse in a different discussion which stated that Windows support is being considered but that there is no date for it.  That was 8 months ago.

If it transpires that there is still no windows support then this would be a show stopper.  I know that the app can be deployed to Rhohub however some of our customers will not accept their data being made accessible over the internet.

What is the current situation?

Tahir

Pietro Francesc...
Hi Tahir,at this moment the

Hi Tahir,

at this moment the missing piece for having RhoConnect supporting Windows as a target for deployment is Redis and Microsoft is closing the gap:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/interoperability/archive/2013/01/15/one-step-closer-to-full-support-for-redis-on-windows-ms-open-tech-releases-64-bit-and-azure-installer.aspx

When this version is good enough for production, RhoConnect will support deployment on Windows.

Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
Pietro,Rhoconnect and Redis

Pietro,

Rhoconnect and Redis get installed along with Rhostudio for development and testing purposes on Windows. How's that Redis different from what's being developed currently?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
The difference from what we

The difference from what we've in the RhoStudio environment and what is needed in a production environment is only stability and performance...

At this moment some port of Redis are available for Windows but none of them is good enough for deployment.

The current effort by Microsoft has the goal to produce a production level port of Redis for Windows:

“Redis is an in-memory distributed database and it’s gaining a lot of traction especially when coupled with Node.js. Redis is built on Linux currently: we had a number of conversations with the community and it was clear to us that many developers would love to see Redis running on Windows. Based on this significant demand, we decided to get involved and we are working closely with the community to get Redis to work really well on Windows.” explained Peter Galli, Senior Open Source Communities Manager at Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.

Hope this clarifies.

Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
Hmm, stability could be an

Hmm, stability could be an issue with the dev version, as sometimes, the sync behaves erratically.

Thanks for the clarification.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

John Michael Vi...
As of now Microsoft Open

As of now Microsoft Open Technologies has released a stable version of Redis 2.6 ported to Windows.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/interoperability/archive/2013/04/22/redis-on-windows-stable-and-reliable.aspx

One can download the release version in github

https://github.com/MSOpenTech/redis

Regards,

Vine

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
Thank you for that info!

Thank you for that info!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Damir Imamovic
Hello Pietro,since being

Hello Pietro,

since being developer now for almost a year, most of the issues were coming when Windows shop start to play with Linux. To be honest, we are on edge to give up on Rhomobile because requirement to install Rhoconnect on Linux. Can you please shed some light when Rhoconnect wiill be fully supported on Windows ?

Damir

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
+1I believe its to do with

+1

I believe its to do with Redis. Not sure if the latest version 2.8.9 would help.

Ref. http://msopentech.com/blog/2014/07/09/redis-windows-2-8-9-released/?loc=...

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Looking at the current

Looking at the current documentation it states Windows support for RhoConnect

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 12.52.24 PM.png

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
Peter,the situation has not

Peter,

the situation has not changed in v5.0 from the previous versions.

RhoConnect has always been supported for development on Windows.

BUT is not yet supported for deployment on anything but Linux.

I don't have any official update from the product team about the capability to have Windows support for deployment. As we're in the middle of the launch of v5.0 it's a bit too early to put this as a requirement for next release, I'll try to see how much request there's from our installed base.

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Michael Toews
We currently have no plans to

We currently have no plans to support windows for production builds. As we have seen, Windows has not shown that it is a production-worthy platform. If, in the future, Windows server machines are proven to be stable enough to be production-worthy, we may offer Windows support but, there is currently no sign of this on the horizon.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
If I am to use the latest

If I am to use the latest open-source Redis (Redis on Windows 2.8.9 released | MS OpenTech) instead of the one installed by Rhostudio (for development & testing), what am I to do? Can anyone provide the steps to be followed?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
Bump! Anyone, please?

Bump! Anyone, please?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’