2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2013 2:14 PM by Dhepthi LakshmiNarasimhan

Helpers for cleaning up the view

Hi

I would like to clear up the view so I was thinking to move to header buttons to a helper method. For instance I would like to move this code into a helper called show_sync

<% if SyncEngine::logged_in > 0 %>

<a href="<%= url_for :controller => :Settings, :action => :do_sync %>" class="ui-btn-left" data-icon="refresh">

Sync

</a>

<a href="<%= url_for :controller => :Settings, :action => :logout %>" class="ui-btn-right" data-icon="star">

Logout

</a>

<% else %>

<a href="<%= url_for :controller => :Settings, :action => :login %>" class="ui-btn-right" data-icon="star">Login</a>

<% end %>

I tried to put this in a method in application_helper.rb or browser_helper.rb but none of the options seems to work

def show_sync

end

any ideas how can I extract this lines out to a helper please?

thank you

Mariano

• Re: Helpers for cleaning up the view
          Mark Nongkhlaw

You could download my app, where I had used a helper method to determine the designations of employees based on their age. Though that might sound a little wiered, its just to demo how we can define our own functions and use them in the views :

https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/message/8024#8024

Hope it helps.

• Re: Helpers for cleaning up the view

Hi Mariano

While moving code to rb file from erb, you have to remove embedded tags. You can try the below code

def header_data

content = ""

content += "<h1>Home</h1>"

if SyncEngine::logged_in > 0

content +="<a href='/app/Settings/do_sync' class='ui-btn-left' data-icon='refresh'>Sync</a>"

else

content += "<a href='/app/Settings/login' class='ui-btn-left' data-icon='refresh'>Login</a>"

end

content

end

Placed the code in application helper file. You must include the helper in the necessary controller file like

require 'helpers/application_helper'

include ApplicationHelper

Now you can call the helper method in erb file as

<div data-role="header" data-position="inline">

<%= header_data %>

</div>

Hope this might be helpful

Another effective way of cleaning the view is to move the code to partials and render the partial wherever needed. See http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhodes/ui#advanced-usage-of-render for rendering partials