RhoElements and contextual keyboard (numeric vs alphabets)

Hi,

My "RhoElements" developer tells me that there is no way using RhoElements to provide/display separate keyboards optimised for specific form field inputs.

Is this true?

I am working on the User Experience of the app, and noticed, every time there is a numeric field where users have to input numbers, an "alphabet" keyboard is displayed.

Which means its an additional tap for the user to go to the "numeric only" keyboard.

The App is build using HTML, CSS, JQuery and Angular.

Is there a code or API that we can give users the right keyboard on mobile forms.

Thank you.

P.S. I am not a developer/programmer hence why I need to know if this is possible using RhoMobile.

Robert Galvin
Hi IssacThere are a couple of

Hi Issac

There are a couple of things you should be aware of:

1) Each operating systems and each browser will behave differently with the input type="number" tag

2) In RhoMobile suite you have the choice of running with the native browser for that OS or with the Motorola Webkit (which is denoted by app_type in build.yml)

For Motorola webkit, we do not support most input type=.... to switch the keyboard. You are better off using the native browser for that. But also note that even the native browser will behave differently depending on the device/os version/etc. Ex: on some versions of Android type='number' does not pop open a 10 digit numeric keypad, it just puts the querty keypad in shift mode so the numbers are easily accessible, where as type='tel' does put it in a bigger button 10 digit mode.

So overall, make sure you are using the stock webkit option (no app_type:rhoelements in build.yml and check to see what the browser behavior is using the standard browser on the device.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Isaac Sane
My devs informed me that we

My devs informed me that we are not using the app generator.

They tell me that since it is HTML wrapped in RhoElements, there is no way for RhoElements to "talk" to the OS and bring up the relevant keyboard.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Glenn Sayer
Isaac,You are correct that

Isaac,

You are correct that with the use of the Moto Webkit you don’t have control of what keyboard is displayed.  In the 4.0 release this will not be the case as it will use the Native rendering engine and will have access to different key pads.

Another option is to create your own JavaScript key pads to enter data.  This way you have complete control over what keyboard is displayed and the OS will not matter.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Isaac Sane
Thanks Glen.Do you know when

Thanks Glen.

Do you know when the update from 2.2 to 4.0 will happen?

Or any article/blog that indicates this transition will happen soon?

While we are at the tail end of the development and there are quiet a few critical issues thats hampering the UX, and the devs have to spend time and efforts on work arounds.

Cheers.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Isaac Sane
Hi Robert,Thank you for your

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply. I will pass this on to the devs.

This hybrid app is to be deployed on Motorola MC40 running android version 2.3.4.

Do you recommend we use the native browser that is available on the MC40?

Thanks again.

- Isaac

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Darryn Campbell
Beta's to start soon, full

Beta's to start soon, full release in the June/July timeframe.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Isaac Sane
Does this mean, with 4.0, the

Does this mean, with 4.0, the Moto Webkit will no longer be used?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Darryn Campbell
For non-Windows devices the

For non-Windows devices the native rendering engine will be used.  Windows devices will still use the Moto WebKit

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Isaac Sane
Thanks Glen.Will these

Thanks Glen.

Will these updates have any implication for the MC40s? Considering they have an 800 MHzprocessor, 8GB Flash memory?

Any plans for "Updated MC40's", perhaps MC50s or whatever?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Glenn Sayer
Isaac,I dont quite understand

Isaac,

I dont quite understand your question.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’