15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 7:13 AM by DecisionPoint Keith Gable

rvm install issue

How do I install rvm in my iMac v10.7.5?

• Re: rvm install issue

I am now able to install rvm in my machine. But When I click on "install gems" file in RhoStudio package for MAC, I get the following error message the screenshot of which is attached. When I enter Y and press enter, I get the message that could not locate repository. Please help.

Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 1.27.13 AM.png

Kutir Mobility

Hi Saurabh Khemka,

Please try this

run "rvm update head" , then "rvm requirements" then install the packages recommenmed by it and finally run "rvm install 1.9.3".

Thanks

Surendran S

Kutir Mobility

$ rvm update head gives Unrecognised command line argument "head".

I installed rvm and on typing " typr rvm | head -n 1 " gives rvm is a function. Now I want to update ruby version from 1.8.7 to 1.9.3. Please suggest.Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 1.47.38 AM.png

Kutir Mobility

Hi Saurabh

Mac is trying to install the necessary things as mentioned in rvm requirements before installing ruby 1.9.3. Seems like you haven't configured the git in your Mac. Make sure you configure git user details to resolve this issue.

Hope it helps

Thanks

Dhepthi

Kuitr mobility

I installed ruby 1.9.3. When I am clicking on "install gems" file in the dmg package, the following screen is displayed. Please suggest.

Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 4.07.33 AM.png

Kutir Mobility

Since it is a problem with you local machine, our suggestion is to go with Rhomobile suite installer which has  all the steps for you.

Thanks

Surendran S

Kutir Mobility

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  DecisionPoint Keith Gable

You don't want to install the gems with sudo, nor do you want to install RVM with sudo. But RVM may require sudo for some installation steps. Installing RVM or RhoMobile with sudo will likely break MacRuby, and complicate things much more than you're going to want. If you type rvm use, you should see something like "Using /Users/you/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-...". If not, try "rvm use 1.9.3" and see what it tells you.

If you want to start over from scratch with RVM, then use "rvm implode". Don't use "rvm get head", as that installs the latest development version of RVM. You instead want "rvm get stable", unless you know you need RVM head.

So, to do all of this the best way possible, once RVM has been completely uninstalled (I also assume that you already have Xcode and the Command Line Tools installed, if not, do that now):

1. Install RVM as your user - not sudo. Follow the directions on rvm.io.
                                  2. Install Homebrew if you have not already (http://mxcl.github.io/homebrew/). If you have, brew update.
                                  3. Turn on RVM autolibs (rvm autolibs enable).
                                  4. Install Ruby 1.9.3 (rvm install 1.9.3). It will use Homebrew to install certain dependencies as needed.
                                  5. Open the RhoElements DMG and run "Install gems". Pick the correct Ruby (1.9.3) and do not install with sudo.
                                  6. Wait while it installs RhoElements.
                                  7. It should complete successfully.

Hope that gets you on the right track!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    Kutir Mobility

Hi Saurabh

Can you try checking the sources added in your system? Try to add below sources to your system

gem sources --add http://rubygems.org

After adding the source, try installing gems

Hope it hepls

Thanks

Dhepthi

Kutir Mobility

I have ruby 1.9.3 installed in my iMac.

ruby -v gives ruby 1.9.3p392 (2013-02-22 revision 39386) [x86_64-darwin11.4.2]

I installed rvm and homebrew also.

type rvm | head -n 1 gives rvm is a function.

I downloaded RhoStudio dmg file and extracted that on the desktop. Clicking "install gems" gives the following error. I tried installing without sudo also but no success. Please suggest.

image_png.png

Hi,

On click install gems file in the dmg, it asked for Ruby version and I selected 1.9.3. Then it asked if you want to install with sudo or not and I selected N.

On pressing enter, it is throwing Gem: FilePermissionError /users/saurabh_khemka/.rvm/gems/........ Please suggest.

DecisionPoint Keith Gable

Your RVM installation seems to be messed up. It appears that the root user, via sudo, installed some components of RhoElements and RVM, which is causing things to break down. Since root owns the data, rather than your user, RVM is unable to function as it lacks the proper permissions. You could play with permissions and make it probably work, but I wouldn't recommend doing this as it may cause problems down the road that you probably don't want to deal with. The simplest solution is to use rvm implode to uninstall RVM, then reinstall. You can read more about that here, or you can just copy-paste this into a terminal and press enter:

\curl -#L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --autolibs=3 --ruby

(Yes, there is a backslash at the beginning of the line.)

When you install RhoElements, be sure to answer "no" to the sudo question. Everything should work after that.