3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2013 10:17 AM by DecisionPoint Keith Gable

Uploading a file to remote server

I have tried 3 methods without any luck.

1. FTP class from Ruby net-ftp, it always thrown an exception telling it can not load the monitor.rb class

2. FileTransfer explained here http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhoelements/FileTransfer, it always says "constant missing FileTransfer"

3. AsyncHTTP appears to be the most successful one since a lot of people talks about it but i really don't know how to implement the server that will receive the file, i have tried with php file.

Can anyone give me a working example.

Regards,

• Re: Uploading a file to remote server
          Kutir Mobility

Hi Edgar,

We use Rails as our backend server, in server side we receive uploaded file like

Parameters: {"pdf_document"=>#<ActionDispatch::Http::UploadedFile:0x38b5180 @original_filename="sample_1.pdf", @conten

t_type="application/octet-stream", @headers="Content-Disposition: form-data; name=\"pdf_document\"; filename=\"sample_1.

pdf\"\r\nContent-Type: application/octet-stream\r\nContent-Length: 54836\r\n", @tempfile=#<File:C:/Users/AppDat

a/Local/Temp/RackMultipart20130426-6768-1754ow1>>, "flag"=>"rhodes", "file_name"=>"test_from_rhodes"}

Here "pdf_document" is a pdf file uploaded from rhodes.

Thanks

Surendran S

Kutir Mobility

Excellent.

I created a method in a controller to see all parameters so i can start to play with this. I leave here for future users

def receiver

name =  "test.txt" #upload['datafile'].original_filename

directory = "public/"

# create the file path

path = File.join(directory, name)

# write the file

File.open(path, "wb") { |f| f.write(params) }

end

DecisionPoint Keith Gable

AyncHttp or Net::HTTP will work to send it. The server gets it as a multipart/form-data MIME-type, which is then exposed into your development platform in a number of different ways. In PHP, you should get access to the file in the $_FILES array. In Rails, the file is available in params. If you use Net::HTTP, I would suggest using this multipart POST library to make it simpler to multipart POST.

Edit: You will need to load the net-http extension before you can use the library I linked above.