2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 6:49 PM by dino@macroweb.co.uk

Error when trying to create a model

dino@macroweb.co.uk

I've just installed Rhomobile on my MacBook Pro (OS10.8) to try it out, and have been having a few problems doing the most basic stuff.

I'm now trying to create a model, but from within RhoStudio (and from the command line), and this is the error I get:

CMD: rhodes model MyTask Name,Description,DueDate

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/highline-1.6.18/lib/highline.rb:621:in `say': undefined method `default_external' for Encoding:Class (NoMethodError)

from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/templater-1.0.0/lib/templater/cli/generator.rb:157:in `say_status'

from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/templater-1.0.0/lib/templater/cli/generator.rb:103:in `step_through_templates'

from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/templater-1.0.0/lib/templater/cli/generator.rb:84:in `each'

from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/templater-1.0.0/lib/templater/cli/generator.rb:84:in `step_through_templates'

from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/templater-1.0.0/lib/templater/cli/generator.rb:75:in `run'

from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/templater-1.0.0/lib/templater/cli/manifold.rb:24:in `run'

from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/templater-1.0.0/lib/templater/manifold.rb:80:in `run_cli'

from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.5.1.12/bin/rhogen:33

from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.5.1.12/bin/rhodes:4:in `load'

from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.5.1.12/bin/rhodes:4

from /usr/bin/rhodes:19:in `load'

from /usr/bin/rhodes:19

Generating with model generator:

RET: 1

I'm lost, because my search for others having this problem has come up with nothing.

• Re: Error when trying to create a model
          Kutir Mobility

It looks like you are running the default OSX ruby; however, you need to install ruby 1.9.3, as well as a few other tools, before using Rhomobile. Thankfully, all the steps are documented on http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhomobile-install , please follow that guide and let us know if that solves your problem.

Thanks,

Javier

Kutir Mobility

• Re: Error when trying to create a model
              dino@macroweb.co.uk

Javier, you were spot!

I initially thought this couldn't be the case, because I'd installed rvm as per the instructions, and this had infact installed ruby 1.9.3 and 2.0.0. Incidentally, rather than link to the rvm site, I think the Rhomobile instructions should just list the command that needs to be run, ie:

\curl -L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --rails --ruby=1.9.3

After that, then the user can run:

rvm install 1.9.3

But then they surely need to run:

rvm use 1.9.3

This last command resolved my problem, thanks to you mentioning about me using the default OSX ruby install rather than 1.9.3. To confirm what you said, I ran:

ruby -v

Anyway, thanks again Javier.

1 of 1 people found this helpful