Windows Embedded Compact 7 and F9 Key

Hi all,

did anyone try to press F9 key on Windows Embedded Compact 7? Both on MC32N0 and MC92N0 pressing F9 cause a feedback audio. The curious thing is that after a long standby (one day or more)  the feedback audio is delayed of one or two second. In this period the terminal is freezed. With datawedge running you can't start a read until the audio beep is played. Unfortunately I've an old program that use F9 before a barcode read! The customer isn't happy to wait this period.

Anyone know if OS or terminal use F9 as shortcut for some feature?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Franco.

Anonymous (not verified)
This is the "Export Logs" key

This is the "Export Logs" key.  If you look in the \ExportLogs\Logs folder on the device,  I think you will see the log file be written there every time you press F9.  If you must use that key for something else, I think that you would need to have someone remap the keyboard for you.  Support can help with that.  They will need to know which Keyboard you have on each device.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

STEFANO GIAMPIERI
Thanks for the info Dan, I

Thanks for the info Dan, I never heard of "Export Logs" function, is there any documentation about? I can't find anything on the web.

I can remap the key using the makebins project but the best solution would be to disable the export logs feature. Is it possible?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

STEFANO GIAMPIERI
Looking on the registry I

Looking on the registry I didn't find any key to disable Export Logs. However the process managing this feature is RTLogExport.exe. I tried to disable automatic launch of this program creating a reg file under \Application to reset the "Launch1" key under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init]. This solution doesn't work, at the cold boot the process is still active. Maybe the process starts before the regmerge. So I created a small programm to kill the process "RTLogExport.exe". It works fine!

Franco.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Sorry,  it's called rtlog. 

Sorry,  it's called rtlog.  You can see in the user guide if you search for rtlog.

https://atgsupportcentral.zebra.com/content/emb/docs/manuals/16253605a.pdf

As far as I know,  the only way to get the F9 key to do something else is to remap it.  There is a scancode dedicated to rtlog that is assigned to that key. Looking at the files that come in some of the kbtools packages,  I'm not seeing it defined,  but I'm pretty sure that this is the way it is defined in the actual files that come in the OS (at least this is the way it was in CE6). The F9 key is remapped to SC_RTLOG. 

from scancode.h:

#define SC_RTLOG    0x7F

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

STEFANO GIAMPIERI
This should be an elegant

This should be an elegant solution!

I'll try to remap SC_RTLOG to 0x80 and see what happen. Otherwise I'll use the killprocess way.

Thanks a lot Dan, have a nice weekend!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
I'm doing a little more

I'm doing a little more digging,  it looks like maybe this is different on CE7.  I will let you know what I find.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

STEFANO GIAMPIERI
I did some test......- I

I did some test......

- I download "MC32N0 CE7.0 Keyboard Tool v1" package.

- Inside scancode.h there is the line "#define SC_RTLOG 0x7F"

- However that symbol isn't never used in the project. In other word even changing its value the output files will be always the same.

In other words it seems RTLogExport.exe uses F9 and not SC_RTLOG. I tried to remap F9 key with another key. RTLogExport.exe  stop to export log but obviously even my program stop to detect that key. At the moment the brutal KillProcess seems to be the only solution.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
Hi Stefano,another option

Hi Stefano,

another option could be to intercept all the keypress in your application creating a keyboard hooks. This usually works:

Windows CE Programming » Blog Archive » Windows Mobile: CF how to catch F1 and F2 in WEH

Ciao

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

STEFANO GIAMPIERI
Thanks for your answeer. I

Thanks for your answeer. I would prefer to don't modify souce code (isn't mine). However as test purpose I already tried AllKeys approach, it doesn't work. I even test AEKMap, same result, the key is remapped but RTLogExport.exe is able to detect it. Probably it works at deep level.

My real name is Franco, Stefano is a collegue. I need to create a new account :-)

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Support provided a way to

Support provided a way to silence the sound.  There is a reg entry that will do that.  I'm not sure that this would resolve the whole issue,  but give it a try.  It does appear that this works differently in CE7,  so please disregard the key remapping suggestion.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Motorola\ExportLogs]

"bMakeSound"=dword:00000000

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
I am out of the office this

I am out of the office this week,  so I can't test this,  but I think the below registry key might be the solution.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\KEYBD]

"RTLoggerKey"=dword:000000FA

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

STEFANO GIAMPIERI
bMakeSound disable only the

bMakeSound disable only the audio feedback, the process is still running.

Instead RTLoggerKey works fine! Pressing F9 Key log file isn't created. This is an elegant solution.

Thanks Dan for you help.

How did you find the proper value for that key? RTLoggerKey isn't documented on the web.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
I couldn't find it documented

I couldn't find it documented anywhere either.  Support found it for me.  Glad that worked and I hope it works for others in the future with the same issue.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Richard Venderbosch
We have found the same issue

We have found the same issue on the MC67 (Premium and Base) with WEH 6.5.

Unfortunately we didn't find any registry key to remap the keys F5 and especially F9 to stop the device from creating the log file.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’