How to make enterprise browser autostart when the device is turned on

We have TC8000 scanners, and we need that when the device is turned on, Enterprise browser autostarts, is this posible? We need that the end user to be able to use only Enterprise browser on the device. So when end user starts the device he has to go and open the application. Therefore in order to avoid the end user open other apps, it would be great that Enterprise browser opens when the device is turned on.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Eduardo,It sounds like

Hi Eduardo,

It sounds like Zebra's Enterprise Home Screen (EHS) would be a good fit for you.  It allows you to restrict the applications available to end users and the <auto_launch> configuration setting allows you to automatically launch any desired application (e.g. Enterprise Browser).  You will probably want to also take advantage of EB's capability to prevent the user from using the home button to fully lock down the OS.

More detail on EHS is here: About Enterprise Home Screen - Zebra Technologies TechDocs .  Configuration is here: EHS Advanced Settings - Zebra Technologies TechDocs .  Download is here: Download Enterprise Home Screen - Zebra Technologies TechDocs  (note version 2.6 is required for KK if you are running that OS).

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Eduardo Diazx
Hi Darryn,Thank you for your

Hi Darryn,

Thank you for your quick response, that is the solution we were looking for, but we could not find the link to download the App, because at the link provided: https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/software/utilities/enterprise-home-screen.html  we see only links to download release notes:

Could you please provide us with another link to download directly the App?

Thank you!

Regards

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi, just below the

Hi, just below the highlighted section you should have a 'software' section but the direct link is https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra_new_ia/en-us/software/utilities/enterprise-home-screen/EHS_020703.zip

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Eduardo Diazx
Hi Darryn, good day.Thanks a

Hi Darryn, good day.

Thanks a lot for the link, I have the software installed and running now. I have another question, do you know what is the command that we have to modify into the XML file, to disable the navigation bar? I mean to prevent the user from using the home button to fully lock down the OS. And once we do that, what would be the process to return back the device to the previous status.

Thanks again.

Regards

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Eduardo, it is an

Hi Eduardo, it is an Enterprise Browser option, Config.xml Reference - Zebra Technologies TechDocs  however it is only available on Lollipop devices.  If you are running KitKat then I suggest you use Enterprise HomeScreen's Kiosk mode, <kiosk_mode_enabled> in the EHS configuration, EHS Advanced Settings - Zebra Technologies TechDocs .  I did a blog previously on the various ways of locking down your device which you may find helpful:

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Eduardo Diazx
Thanks for the information,

Thanks for the information, now we have another problem, sorry to bother, we have activated the kiosk mode, but when we try to push the enterprisehomescreen.XML file with command ADB push we get the error: failed to copy, remote read-only file system. This means we have to make public that file always?

After we activated the kiosk mode now we can not see the option "settings" so we are unable to do a Factory data reset.

Hope you can help us ASAP

Thanks again for your quick support.

Eduardo

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
You should be able to push

You should be able to push enterprisehomescreen.xml to /enterprise/usr/enterprisehomescreen.xml.  I don't have a TC8000 to try it on but that is what I have used in the past on my TC55. 

If you need to do a factory reset but do not have access to the settings you can enter recovery mode (either adb reboot recovery or there should be a hardware key combination listed in the user guide under 'hard reset', https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra_new_ia/en-us/manuals/mobile-computers/tc8000-v5.1.1-ug-en.pdf ).  You can then load the factory reset package available from TC8000 Touch Computer Support & Downloads | Zebra  but it is a restricted download so you will need to be under warranty or have a support agreement in order to download.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Eduardo Diazx
Hi Darryn, as per your

Hi Darryn, as per your response, it is not posible to use push command on TC8000, right? Even we have noticed that /enterprise/usr/ is a read only folder and we are not able to change that. Is there another way to copy the XML file into the device?

Thanks

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
No, you should be able to

No, you should be able to push the config to /enterprise/usr, as documented in the EHS settings: EHS Advanced Settings - Zebra Technologies TechDocs .  There are some notes on that page worth checking if it is not working for yourself.  You could use an MDM to push the file or (I believe) use the file manager app on the device, as long as you type in the path directly.  Another option that I have never tried but should work would be to use the StageNow File Manager, File Manager - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Eduardo Diazx
Hi,We finally could push the

Hi,

We finally could push the config file to /enterprise/usr, seems to be the host PC was not properly configured. We used another PC and it worked fine.

On the other hand, we have another problem, always when the device is rebooted, the Enterprise browser is added by default into the list of disabled App in DataWedge settings, so we are unable to use the barcode scanner inside Enterprise browser, how do I permanently remove the app from that list?

Thank you very much.

Regards

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
If you want to use DataWedge

If you want to use DataWedge with Enterprise Browser, Abhineet recently published an article on the subject .  The article is talking about SimulScan with DataWedge but the principle is exactly the same, you are just using Barcode capture with DataWedge.

Enterprise Browser does have its own barcode API, unless you have a specific reason to use DataWedge (for example, compatibility with other apps or reusing an existing app) then you may be best using the EB barcode API.

Edit: Another of Abhineet's blogs specifically addresses barcode scanning with DataWedge and Enterprise Browser:  

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Joydeep Chakraborty
As Darryn mentioned use Kiosk

As Darryn mentioned use Kiosk mode feature of EHS along with EB for device lock down and autostart.

Device Lock-down With EHS - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

For Datawedge disabled app settings please refer to below documentation based on Datawedge version in your device.

Using DataWedge with EB - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Eduardo Diazx
Thanks a lot for your help,

Thanks a lot for your help, we could solve the issue using EHS along with EB.

Regards

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’