6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 4:06 PM by Lisa Tassone

Fixed footer possible with jqm?

Lisa Tassone

Hi everyone,

I am trying to implement a fixed footer toolbar using jqm because I find the native Rho toolbar inflexible design wise.  I am using the latest version of jqm 1.3 which supports fixed footers but it doesn't work in rho (specifically iOS, haven't tested in Android as yet).  Works in the browser however.  Is what I'm trying to achieve simply not possible within a Rho application?

• Re: Fixed footer possible with jqm?
          Val Palhories

I use the following which works fine on Android:

<div data-role="footer" data-position="fixed">

Make sure it appears before the content div. I have not tested this on iOS.

HTH

--- Val

Lisa Tassone

On Android it works a treat ( most things do ) however iOS is the problem child that I need the fix for.

Val Palhories

Sorry Lisa,

wish I could be of more help. Hopefully someone will chime in.

--- Val

James Howard

You might just want to try something like

<div style="position:fixed; bottom: 0px; height: 2em; z-index: 99999;">Footer Content</div>

I've used this as a replacement for the toolbar in my app since the toolbar icons do not work correctly on win32 ...

I had some issues getting jqm 1.3 working correctly in rhodes and I have heard that the jqm footer has some issues in general.

Jon Tara

Fixed footers work just fine - I use them.

Your question is way to vague to answer, though, other than "it works for me".

Lisa Tassone

Allow me to add further information.  The 'fixed' footer for jqm 1.0.1 'works' but jumps up and down when scrolling because of the way jqm have had to implement the 'fixed' position on a platform that didn't support it at the time (and doesn't seem to now either with rhodes). i.e. by recalculating the scrolled screen and the re-positioning the footer.  I haven't been able to get the fixed footer working at all with jqm 1.3.  It just displays inline.  Even specifically declaring an element as fixed with no jqm markup still doesn't work on iOS 6.1.  The page I am using it on has content in an iframe so I don't know if that is somehow effecting anything.  Everything works perfectly in Android. 

I have had to implement a fixed height on the iframe and content frame and apply scrolling to the content.  That's the only solution that is delivering satisfactory results at the moment. My case is more complicated than normal because the iframe content can vary significantly and is injected dynamically so all the heights etc are applied after the iframe is loaded.  I had to even set a timeout on the application of heights so that the scrolling worked; the onload event didn't seem to be enough.