8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2013 8:44 AM by Lars Burgess

rhohub taking a very long time to build

David Miller

Hi

This morning, I've submitted a build to rhohub.  It's taken 1 hour so far and still not completed a WM6.5 build.  Normally it takes 5mins max. 

Anyone having Rhohub issues this morning?  19th Sept 9am BST.

• Re: rhohub taking a very long time to build
            Mark Nongkhlaw

Same here. What was your Git Revision? And what's more frustrating is that they've removed the Cancel Build button

On a related note, although Rhohub looks and functions well when accessed thru mobile device (unlike Launchpad!), the "Build" button does not show up.

David Miller

I now have a WM build sitting there.  I am currently trying the recreate the application by reimporting into RhoMobile (Eclipse) so I can create another application in Rhohub.  But I cannot reimport due to various Eclipse errors.

Another 1/2 day wasted.

Now get ...

An internal error occurred during: "Checking remote build status".

java.lang.NullPointerException

...when trying to build from RhoMobile.

David Miller

Can someone please delete the existing WM builds that are running in RhoHub?

Hi,

Our Windows build slaves were stuck this morning so the queue backed up.  They are now going through the queue and should be caught up in about 10 minutes.  Thanks for reporting this.

Mark Nongkhlaw

Lars,

Could you also please address these related issues at Rhohub :

1. Restore the "Cancel Build" button

2. Though Rhohub looks and functions well when accessed thru mobile device (unlike Launchpad!), the "Build" button does not show up in mobile.

3. Enable builds for WP7. Yeah, I know its rather late, but still...

Thanks!

David Miller

I would imagine that 'cancel build' would not have helped in this scenario.  Although I have wanted that facility in the past, I doubt it would have helped then either.  But system status indicators or even a build stats page would help us know if there was a problem.

The issue is not that sometimes the system does fail (these things happen) - it's the "not knowing the status" as we tend to go off thinking it's a problem with our apps. Then end up going down all sorts of routes to try and resolve.

If we could see (split by WM, iOS and Android) how long the last build took, time of last completed build and how many builds are in progress, that would do.  I know this can lead to a world of issues for a service like this but, hey - it's only a request

Further, having to report problems with Rhohub via a tweet is hardly up there in terms of service level attainment.  A simple ticketing system would be much better.  Posting on the Discussions is ok but no response was received by doing that and tickets can be escalated and measured against.  It's a 'system' so that should be the route to take.

I know it's free but I rely on it at the moment.  I have thought about paying for support but I'm not sure the support function is in place to warrant the spend.

I would imagine that 'cancel build' would not have helped in this scenario.  Although I have wanted that facility in the past, I doubt it would have helped then either.  But system status indicators or even a build stats page would help us know if there was a problem.

We do have plans for it to be possible to cancel builds.  Right now it is a manual process but we hope to expose it as a feature in the future.

The issue is not that sometimes the system does fail (these things happen) - it's the "not knowing the status" as we tend to go off thinking it's a problem with our apps. Then end up going down all sorts of routes to try and resolve.

If we could see (split by WM, iOS and Android) how long the last build took, time of last completed build and how many builds are in progress, that would do.  I know this can lead to a world of issues for a service like this but, hey - it's only a request

This is another area we are planning on improving, currently there are only two "phases" that you can see in a build (running and completed/failed).  Exposing more states like "queued", "preparing", "building", "done", "failed" will go a long way in terms of showing you what is going on with a given build.

Further, having to report problems with Rhohub via a tweet is hardly up there in terms of service level attainment.  A simple ticketing system would be much better.  Posting on the Discussions is ok but no response was received by doing that and tickets can be escalated and measured against.  It's a 'system' so that should be the route to take.

The forums here or twitter are the best place currently for us to handle issues while the service remains free.  As mentioned above we are planning on ramping it up with more features & visibility in the very near future.  New support options will be part of that effort.

1 of 1 people found this helpful