Moto Webkit minus RhoElements for WM Possible?

My app uses pure Rhodes & Ruby without JS, and none of the features requiring a RhoElements license like Barcode, Signature capture etc.

But there are some JQM controls which of course get ignored on the stock browser, so I need the Moto Webkit minus RhoElements just to make these show up and to improve the UI in general.

What are my options?

Pietro Francesc...
Hi Mark,As Javier correctly

Hi Mark,

As Javier correctly stated, The Motorola Webkit Browser is one of the feature requiring a RhoElements license.

The basic idea is that you can build B2C application with Rhodes and to build B2E application you need a RhoElements license.

We see support for Windows Mobile and Windows CE as an enterprise feature. In particular supporting Windows Mobile with an HTML5 capable browser is a huge task! Not only for the Webkit porting, but mainly for the limits of this OS. One of the biggest effort in v4.0 was to introduce support for devices with less than 256MB of Physical RAM, as described in the Release notes of the latest public beta.

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
Hmm...just for kicks, I build

Hmm...just for kicks, I build mentioned app in Rhohub, most probably it uses Released version of RhoElements (2.2?)

Anyway I installed the app in a HTC Viva Opal (T2223) with these specs :

Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional

CE OS 5.2.19971(Build 19971.1.2.6)

Processor : OMAP850-201Mhz

Speed : 201 Mhz

RAM : 128 MB

ROM version:1.26.720.1 WWE

ROM Date: 09/19/08

Ran the app, it seeded data as expected, after that it exited. Then I restarted it, loaded OK this time, picked a menu item,  nothing.......

Most probably the optimizations you were talking about weren't there in 2.2 ?

What's the "minimum specs WM Device" that can work with RhoElements?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
Yes, this is a v4.0

Yes, this is a v4.0 improvement.

For v2.2 you can take 256MB as a minimum, than it really depends on how big is your app.

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
What's the RhoElements

What's the RhoElements footprint in 2.2 ? Are there tools to measure it?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
Oh, just installed the same

Oh, just installed the same app in a HTC Mini HD with 384MB RAM, 600Mhz. It runs flawlessly, but the jQM controls dont show up. Looks like my assumption was wrong.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
If you're using Rhodes v4.0

If you're using Rhodes v4.0 just take a look at the default layout.erb that now does not use JQM when running on Windows Mobile for performance reasons.

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
No, as mentioned this was a

No, as mentioned this was a Rhohub build (v 2.2). Maybe I'm missing app_type:rhoelements ?

No, it was a traditional Rhodes app, so I guess I just need this in build.yml :

capabilities:

- motorola_browser

Please correct me if Im wrong (cannot change build.yml right now, using phone, no PC, no Git)

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
OK, ok, I got it working with

OK, ok, I got it working with both

app_type:rhoelements

capabilities:

- motorola_browser

Of course, its a bit slow, but tolerable. Need to test it with 4.0, but I believe jQM (if required) would then have to be added manually to the layout.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
Mark,For Motorola Solutions

Mark,

For Motorola Solutions devices we've some tools that can helps and that we use to support end-user and partners when there're issues that may be linked to memory shortage.

One similar tool is available on Codeproject:

Visualizing the Windows Mobile Virtual Memory Monster - CodeProject

And to have more information about the DLL Crunch issue in Windows Mobile and Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 (and in Windows CE up to version 5) take a look at:

Windows CE .NET Advanced Memory Management  (yes is an article written in 2002...)

Windows Mobile 6.1 Memory Management Changes | Boling Consulting

More Memory for ALL in WM 6.x - Reed and Steve Stuff - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

compact framework - Windows Mobile: How to identify and prevent shared DLLs from occupying address space? - Stack Overfl…

In Rhodes v4.0 a new linking strategy is now being used to minimize DLL Crunch issue (e.g. static linking):

Best regards

Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
Thanks.

Thanks.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kutir Mobility
I do not believe you can get

I do not believe you can get the Motorola Webkit without a license. As you can see in Rhomobile | RhoElements Licensing:

If you have included any of the following features in your application, your application will require a RhoElements license to run. Applications not using any of these features will be able to run license-free.

Javier

Kutir Mobility

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’