6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2013 4:39 AM by Wellington Oliveira

How to take build for iOS?

Hi All,

I have taken build for iOS 6.1 for my Rhodes application. I am using Rhodes-4.0 version. Since we know that higher version build won't work on lower version devices. So I tried by changing the SDK version in build.yml as "iphoneos" and checked the build in iOS 6.1 and iOS 7 devices, its working fine. But in iOS 5 devices its not working.

I tried by taking build in Rhohub, but the build is not getting completed.

How to take build for iOS which works in all the versions of iPhone devices?

Thanks in advance,

Vidyaa.N

• Re: How to take build for iOS?
          Kutir Mobility

May be it has something to do with Build target set in XCode.

See the attached screen and set the Deployment Target as 4.3 and above based on your requirement

VP

Kutir Mobility

Jon Tara

Since we know that higher version build won't work on lower version devices.

That's not correct.

For hardware build, you should always specify the SDK of highest version available. Currently, that is 7.0. You should always build for 7.0. You set the deployment target to the lowest version you want to support.

I believe, though, that the minimum deployment target for Rhodes 4.0 is now 6. Rhodes 3.5.1 minimum deployment target was 4.

For simulator build, it is different. You need to specify the SDK for the version of OS you want to test on. Note that XCode 4/5 now only support simulator starting with 5.0, and you will need to download all but the current version SDKs.

Hi All,

Thanks for your support. I have followed the steps given in the Rhomobile documents and tried running the project in Xcode but I am getting the following error,

"Command /bin/sh failed with exit code 1".

Please help me to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Vidyaa.N

Jon Tara

Surely, you got more of an error message than that? What other output did you get?

What kind of build? Command-line, or XCode GUI?

You would need to use a GUI Xcode build to change the deployment target. But there isn't any point in changing the deployment target, because Rhodes build is already set-up to use the minimum deployment target that Rhodes supports. There really is nothing you can change. If you change the deployment target lower, the app will almost certainly fail.

Rhodes 3.5.1 supports a minimum deployment target of iOS 4.

Rhodes 4.0 supports a minimum deployment target of iOS 6.

An application may use features from OS versions higher than the deployment target, but the the app must test to see whether the device has the features of the higher OS before using them. Rhodes already does this for you, but within the limited range supported as shown above.

Just use a command-line build as shown in the documentation.

I have the same problem that USER04781 has with "Command /bin/sh failed with exit code 1" .

In my case, i'm trying to create a deploy for Iphone with de Xcode project generated with the command "rake build :iphone:setup_xcode_project". I don´t know if I'm missing any Xcode configuration aside from changing the scheme to Rhorunner -> iPhone 6.1 Simulator. It's important to point out that I'm first trying with a new project without changing anything apart of the build.yml. I'm doing this because I want to be sure that I know how to import a RhoMobile project that I have on Windows ( since RhoHub doesn't support Rhomobile 4 anymore).

When I try to simply run a test project, i get the build "build failed" message, with 58 warning and 1 error. The error is  "Shell Script Invocation Error" with the already named line "Command /bin/sh failed with exit code 1". The warnings are from unused variables and things like that.

I really want to use Xcode because I don´t know how the certification works without it.