sudo command required to run RhoStudio 4.0 on Mac

While I successfully installed RVM for Mac without the need for prefixing the sudo command, the running of RhoStudio appears to still encounter permission issues....reference below from docs.rhomobile

RVMonMacSetup.png

As a workaround I have been running RhoStudio with the sudo command without any issues, but would like to understand why this is required for my Mac and not on others.

The following is required and to some degree annoying as one needs to enter root password every time:

sudo "/Applications/Motorola RhoStudio/macosx.cocoa.x86_64/RhoStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/RhoStudio"

This is not the first time installing the setup but first that needs the root access.

Anyone with insight as to why this is has happened.

Michael Toews
I am not seeing this behavior

I am not seeing this behavior on my Mac but I am not using that path to open RhoStudio. The default application in your applications directory references

"/Applications/Motorola\ RhoStudio/RhoStudio\ 32\ bits".

Could you please try to open this path in your terminal?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Yes, my original path was for

Yes, my original path was for 64bit run. however i tried the 32 bit path and got the same permission issue:

rake aborted!

Permission denied - /Users/CMQ376/Documents/myDrive/workspace/RhoMobileApplication1/bin/RhoBundle/lib/base64.rb

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Michael Toews
But you shouldn't need to use

But you shouldn't need to use those paths at all. They are not the correct paths to start the app. Did you copy the app to your /Applications directory from the .dmg? If so you just click on the RE icon in your /Applications and then click either the 32bit or the 64bit bash script to start RE.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Allow me to clarify, the path

Allow me to clarify, the path shown above is an excerpt from the build log file. The purpose was to show where it fails.

However, I launch RhoStudio through the 64bit bash script from the /Application directory. Below is the path for the default script which should be identical to everyone else.

"/Applications/Motorola RhoStudio/macosx.cocoa.x86_64/RhoStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/RhoStudio"

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Michael Toews
OK, so what exactly are you

OK, so what exactly are you trying to do? Is there a rake command you are trying to run or are you just trying to start RhoStudio?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
As noted in the original post

As noted in the original post I simply wanted to understand why my install of RhoStudio requires sudo prefaced to the the launching script in order to avoid permission related failures.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Michael Toews
So you are starting rhostudio

So you are starting rhostudio just like everyone else - going to the app in the /Applications directory, and clicking the bash script - and after selecting a ruby version, it crashes with an invalid permissions error. Correct, or am I missing something?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
It looks like there is a

It looks like there is a permission problem in your workspace.  Can you try creating a workspace folder not under the Documents folder?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Good suggestion Dan... iI

Good suggestion Dan... iI went ahead and created a folder in myuser root (parallel to Documents) but the permission issue persists - specifically in the .rvm folder

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 3.29.26 PM.png

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Michael Toews
Peter,     I'm confused why

Peter,

I'm confused why there is a rake command involved here. There should not be any rake commands whatsoever when starting RhoStudio... Looking at the Bash script for the 32 bit version of rhostudio:

#!/bin/bash

# load RVM into a shell session *as a function*

if [[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]]; then

. "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"

elif [[ -s "/usr/local/rvm/scripts/rvm" ]]; then

. "/usr/local/rvm/scripts/rvm"

else

echo 'Please install RVM.'

echo -n 'Press Enter to stop installation...'

read

exit

fi

# select Ruby to work with

echo

echo "Select Ruby version to start RhoStudio:"

RUBIES=`rvm list gemsets strings`

select RUBY in $RUBIES; do

[[ -n "$RUBY" ]] && break;

done

echo

rvm use "$RUBY"

ruby -v

sleep 2

exec "/Applications/Motorola RhoStudio/macosx.cocoa.x86/RhoStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/RhoStudio"

Thee are no rake commands run in the bash script to launch RhoStudio so, what rake command are you running?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
I went ahead and opened up

I went ahead and opened up the permissions to my .rvm folder and now able to run the RhoS bash script without any permission issues. Changed from Read only to Read & Write. Fairly simple when aware and so a possible good reference to have in RhoMobile Docs. Here's how my the permission looks like for my .rvm.

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 6.03.14 PM.png

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’