11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 6:10 AM by Alexey Tikhvinsky

Help with New install of Rhomobile suite and android build

Darrell Coffey

Good morning, I'm a developer with 28 years under my belt. I've decided I need to learn about porting some of my software system to mobile devices and since I already use Motorola handhelds (MC70, MC75) decided RhoMobile suite would be an excellent fit.  I'm totally green when it comes to this, so forgive me if my questions are vague.

Set up a new box, with windows 7 x64 this weekend and applied all updates.

Went to walmart and purchased an android tablet with android 4.1.1. Went into settings and enabled "developer" over usb.

Downloaded and installed latest Java JDK (7u45). No issue.

Downloaded the Latest RhoMobile suite (4.0 release) and installed. No issue.

Downloaded and installed android SDK/ADT Bundle R9. No issue.

Downloaded and installed RhoMobile Suite. No issue.

Added java\bin path in my system path settings.

Configured RhoMobile Suite to point correctly at my JDK and android folders.

Created a new "hello world" app, works in the emulator, but when I deploy to the device, I get "unfortunetly HelloWorld failed" with a close button.

I tried in vane to install/un-install the android images/sdks for multiple verions all with the same result thinking it may be building for a 4.3 device instead of 4.1 since I could not find where to set target version. I even installed the 4.0 sdk images with the same result.

Being new to this area, I am at a loss.

Do I need to install some supporting files on this brand new tablet?

Am I missing something on the studio? How do I tell it to target a 4.1 device vs a 4.0, 4.2,4.3 etc? I could not find a setting for that anywhere.

I scanned google for any "how to" but most of what I found was for older Os's and older versions of the RhoMobule suite.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Help with New install of Rhomobile suite and android build
          Hector Meza

Darrell, a couple of factors maybe affecting you.

1) I would validate that you can access the device via Android debug monitor - ADB, you should be able to see your device, if not the rho build will not be able to load the apk either.

2) I would check the android SDK's you installed - Android 2.3.3 is API 10,  4.2.2 is API 17,  I installed API - 10 to 18 as you will want to have the ability to support older devices.

3) you mentioned the app failed - I would enable debug (look at the rhoconfig.txt) and pull the log to get more specific information on the failure

Hope this helps narrow down the issue.

HM

Jon Tara

Unrelated to your present problem but here was your first mistake:

Set up a new box, with windows 7 x64 this weekend and applied all updates.

Windows is by far the inferior of 3 possible platforms for doing Rhodes development.

If you are going to build for OSX, you *have* to use a Mac.

If not, then Linux is a far better choice that will give you fewer compatibility issues.

You may need Windows if you are developing for Microsoft platforms. But in that case, if you are doing cross-platform development, I'd install a VM on OSX.

Darrell Coffey

Yes, my goal is to create an app(s) for my inmate management system that will be easily ported to run on android, ios and windows mobile. I've worked on everything from MAI, AIX, HPUX, Unix, and for the last 20 years windows. But not once have I powered up a Mac

My thought was that I could develop (mostly proof of concept at the moment) my app for android, and if all the functionality I needed could be reproduced then I would try and port it to windows and IOS.  Can the project(s) once functioning on these devices be imported to a Mac development enviorment and built for the ios with little code changes?

Or

Is the only option for me to buy a Mac and just start there with the RhoMobile suite?

Jon Tara

RhoMobile has some kind of a remote build server you can use (not sure if that's still true for 4.0, though) to build for OSX but it's not a great ongoing solution - you should be able to build for all platforms locally.

You can't build for iOS on Linux or Windows. And you can't run iOS on a non-Apple machine or in a VM on a non-Apple machine. (At least not legally, and a Hackintosh is IMO not worth the trouble and jeopardizes your iOS developer agreement.)

Sure, you can import the project to a Mac and rebuild, but if you do not test on all platforms from the start, you might not know where to start with compatibility issues. Since Rhodes uses HTML/CSS/JS for UI, you are dependent on platform differences in that area, and it's quite easy to be led astray into incompatible HTML/CSS/JS if you are not testing all along.

You are better off with a Mac because then you can cover all bases on one machine. Install VMWare and you can run Windows quite nicely.

Linux is the native environment for Android development, but OSX is close enough that the same toolset is available and works the same. I'd recommend using HomeBrew to set-up the typical Linux command-line tools that are missing, and rvm for manging Ruby environments.

Any Mac with an i5 or i7 will do a great job. Mac Minis are relatively affordable (but not Windows-desktop affordable...), especially if you have an existing monitor or monitors, and you could probably go back one generation (to 2011) and get decent performance. I use a 2012 i7.

OSX is based on BSD, so with your Unix experience the command-line will be very familiar.

Darrell Coffey

It appears I have everything installed correctly, I downloaded and installed latest version of eclipse and was able to build and deploy a simple "hello world" app to the device.

But I still cant get anything to run and now even build in RhoMobile Studio.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled (x86 version).

I create a new app, don't change anything, and deploy to emulator and it works, but the build fails when I deploy to the device.  I think it may have something to do with not being able to select the min/max and target compile device.

I made some changes to the build.xml but it seems to totally ignore what target I have set (just guessing this is where I set it)

Is there any tutorial on how to get this installed/configured to build and target android app? I googled and youtubed my butt off, but everything seems to be the really older releases (v2) using really old r4

Peter Arcuri

Regarding Jon's statement:

Untitled.png

I can attest to that… i've recently switched from Win7 to MacBook Pro and now able to do all that is required in one machine.

Darrell Coffey

as soon as I can verify that I can write a simple app that will read a barcode, decipher it if its on a camera based hand held, then query a web service using the same code but built for both an android device and one of my MC75's I will have enough proof of concept to pull the trigger on purchasing a MacBook pro. It will be my first dive into mac world, so should be fun

Hi Darrel,

1. Rhodes build script always uses latest available Android SDK target. Backward compatibility is supported at runtime down to at least 2.3.3. It is strongly recommended to have 4.2 or 4.3 target installed.

2. android: version: x.x.x value at build.yml configures version of android emulator which will be ran. No more, just it. Sorry for confusing name.

3. try to run just before starting your app

$adb -d logcat

from console and collect the output. adb is Android SDK tool so it should be in $PATH or you need to provide full path in command line

Please, post the logs here. Also I possibly need the application you trying to run (without bin folder)

Alexey

Peter Arcuri

One of the steps taken "Downloaded and installed android SDK/ADT Bundle R9" is somewhat an overkill as it includes Ecplise and so does RhoMobile Suite. It may create some confusion.

Anyhow, would you be able to provide the build log exhibiting the error?