7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 3:22 PM by Darrell Coffey

Success! App finaly deploys to device, now need a license?

Darrell Coffey

I finally found my issue, the android ndk-r9 was missing one (or more) files, I pointed it to ndk-r8e and the hello world app deployed.

So now I take my testing further and need to verify I can add barcode scanning and recognition from the camera. I followed the example, but now when I deploy it says "Please provide correct RhoElements License"

So I looked and it appears I need a license for this test app so I can verify I understand how to use the camera/barcode.

I cant find anywhere to get a trial license? It appears to get an app license will cost $499

A bit steep to throw money at a proof of concept app.

Am I missing something or is this just a fact?

• Re: Success! App finaly deploys to device, now need a license?
          Mark Nongkhlaw

Yep, unfortunately, barcode is one of those pay-me-first features.

Peter Arcuri

While certain device capabilities (i.e. scanner) requires a license please note that all is functioning. If the nagging screen is not acceptable for demonstrating your app then I would suggest reaching out to the Motorola Solutions representative.

Presumably you are deploying your app to MSI devices, speak to the sales rep or technical architect on your account. If you're a reseller of MSI equipment or ISV then reach out to your channel account manager.

Alternatively you can email rho.sales@motorolasolutions.com to ultimately speak to someone and ask for a demo license.

BTW, the list price for one Rho license is way much less than the amount noted above.

Darrell Coffey

thank you for responding, I think the price I found may have been a part of the part number. I'm very green to mobile development so my questions are very noobish. So even without a license the barcode library (and even any other functions I haven't tried yet) are available, just with a nag screen?

From what I  found on google last night, they have 2 license models. By the app, and by the device. Correct?

The license by the app would be a one time license that would be compiled in my app similar to most development libraries in visual studio, and could be used on as many devices that installs my app correct? The reason I ask is my intention is to provide access to info at multiple facilities across many states by multiple employees.  To have to install a license on every device would be a huge pain and circumvent using rhostudio vs writing native apps for each device type I plan on using.

Peter Arcuri

That is correct all APIs are function-able but with a nag screen.

That is also correct, there are 2 licensing models: device license allows one to run one or many RhoE apps while the app license provides license for just that app. App license is based on the app name and yes you will incorporate the key in the build.yml file when building the app. The price model is based on the honour system - the number of deployed app instances should not exceed the number of licenses purchased.

On the other hand device licenses requires deployment of the key. This can be achieved manually or by any MDM software.

Hope this helps...

Darrell Coffey

I emailed them first thing this morning, but as of this afternoon no response yet. After reading a few other threads on here where they claimed weeks without a response (red flag?), I think I just need to call someone directly. Can you suggest a specific phone number I could call for license pricing? I've searched in google but everything is "device" or "support" oriented from multiple 3rd party vendors.

Another noob question, the licenses I did find are for version 1 and 2, I'm assuming that since this is rhostudio 4, would this not also be rhoelements 4?