Building locally for WM6.5.3

I need to get away from using Rhohub for building WM apps.

When I look at the instructions for building locally, this is what I see...

a) Visual Studio 2012 is only any use for building for Windows Phone 8 apps.

b) To build for WM6.5.3, you need Visual Studio 2005 (or later)

I bought Visual Studio 2012 with the intent to build WM6.5.3 apps.  I can't get hold of VS 2008 for love nor money.

After installing VS2012, when I try to install the 'Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Professional DTK.msi' prerequisite, it tells me Visual Studio 2005 (or later) is not installed - which of course it is.

Can someone clarify how I can build WM6.5.3 locally, what software I need and if I can use VS2012?

Thx

P.S.  I'd prefer to use RhoStudio IDE but would use VS if I really had to.

Glenn Sayer
David,VS2012 will not build

David,

VS2012 will not build for WM or WCE and these require VS2005-VS2010. Yes we need to change the documentation to reflect the release of VS2012.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Miller
Ooops.  Hope thats not a

Ooops.  Hope thats not a waste of £850!

I'm asking the supplier if they can supply a previous version FOC.

Thx for the info.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
Shoulda tried the express

Shoulda tried the express edition.

Not sure if VS2010 express will work, though. So much for backwards compatibility, MS style.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Miller
I'd love to mess about

I'd love to mess about installing and hoping but I just haven't the time at the moment

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hayden Eastman
David,Only VS2008 can be used

David,

Only VS2008 can be used for building WM6.5 apps.  VS2010 won't work either.

BTW, could you expand on why you need to move away from Rhohub?  Rhohub was implemented for exactly these kind of situations.  If there are some features you feel are missing, we'd love to hear about them.

Thanks,

Hayden E.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Miller
Jeeez.  Just ordered 2010!  .

Jeeez.  Just ordered 2010!  ....

...back now.  Cancelled.

I'd love to stick with Rhohub but I get too many delays.  It was not building (WM builds) for nearly 2 weeks (Pietro fixed), then I get builds stuck which I cannot stop - preventing me from building (max 2 builds).  This happens a lot.

No SLA.  No controls.  Unless I wait for America to wake up.  Even then it takes too long for the support to react.

I think I have reiterated what I'd like fixed in another post...

Hope that helps.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Miller
Point in question...git@git

Point in question...

git@git.rhohub.com:davidmiller66/StockTake251013.git

Build running for the last 8 hours.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
I don't mean to hijack David

I don't mean to hijack David's thread, but one thing I notice that my pure Ruby, non-RhoElements, non-webkit app which uses no pay-me-first features, has been converted into a RhoElements app which now asks me for a RhoElements license, apparently due to the now-embedded webkit which I didn't need in the first place.

Another thing which many of us have experienced is builds at Rhohub getting stuck for hours and no way of aborting such builds as the Cancel button has been removed.

David might be having some more issues...

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Miller
Yep - keeping it on thread is

Yep - keeping it on thread is good - +1 for the return of the cancel button

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
David, unfortunately MSFT

David, unfortunately MSFT removed support for Windows Mobile in VS2010 (and later) hence creating a gap between Windows Mobile and Windows Phone. That said, VS2005 or VS2008 are the only viable IDEs for targeting WM devices.

About a year ago I managed to find a copy of VS2008 for approximately $145. I presume they are getting scarce over time.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Michael Toews
Currently RhoElements does

Currently RhoElements does not support any VS newer than 2008 however, the devs are working on getting 2010 AND 2012 working for RE 4.1.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Miller
Yep - can't find it anywhere

Yep - can't find it anywhere.

What gets my goat is that I anticipate WM will disappear just when I retire!  I'll have had an entire working life of pain.  Doubt I'll get much sympathy from Bill G though.  Maybe I could invoice him?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
Well, I could do your builds

Well, I could do your builds for you, but I'm not sure whether you'd be willing to give me your source code...just kidding...

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Miller
Thx for the offer.  If you

Thx for the offer.  If you saw my source code, you'd have a good laugh anyway

Maybe it's an option if things get really hairy again with Rhohub.  I'll bear it in mind.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Nongkhlaw
Googling on "Where can I get

Googling on "Where can I get Visual Studio 2008" returns a number of results, including a YouTube video of how to get VS2008 for free. Maybe you could also try www.ebay.com. There's one Professional pack which is up for bids (current bid at $100). Go grab it

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Miller
Yes, looked at all those. The

Yes, looked at all those. The free place is Dreamspark. For students.

Others came to nothing.

eBay - not tried yet but will do if our supplier can't come up with anything today.

We have a company policy to always obtain software from legitimate sources and licenced.

Used to have an MSDN subscription (expensive) but let it lapse after we decided we would develop much less under windoze.

We will target Android and iOS when we can - especially ruggedised.

Sent from my iPhone

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
David,to cover your need to

David,

to cover your need to build locally, till you get your hands on the real thing, you can still download the 90 day trial from Microsoft website:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/d/81d3f35e-fa03-485b-953b-ff952e402520/VS2008ProEdition90dayTrialENUX1435622.…

I don't know if it requires a particular key or it "just works". It's worth a try.

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
David, you may want to look

David, you may want to look into getting a MSDN subscription... you can still get VS2008 from there, not to mention other more recent software.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Sean Kennedy
A tip for those who find this

A tip for those who find this issue : The Visual Studio 2008 version needs to be Professional or better.

VS2008 Express will not work, as well as VS2008 Standard -- which also will not work.

Just to confuse things...

VS2005 Standard will, but will make apps that are only .NET 2.0 capable, and advanced .NET features found in .NET 3.5 (VS2008Pro) are not available to VS2005 builds.

-sean

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’