2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2013 12:04 AM by Mark Nongkhlaw

Access webservice thru ActiveSync?

Mark Nongkhlaw

I have a webservice running on my PC. What I wanted was to connect my WM Device to it thru USB Cable and ActiveSync to retrieve data from the PC to my mobile. The PC is not connected to the LAN or any other network. I notice that a Local Area Connection 2 is created in the PC when the device is connected. I use ipconfig to get the IP Address of my PC.  In the mobile app running on the WM device, in rhoconfig.txt, I specify this IP as part of the webservice address. But the app cannot retrieve data from the PC. I also tried machine name in lieu of IP, but the same problem persists.

However, it works when PC is connected to the LAN. But I need it to work without the LAN for testing purposes.

Is it possible, if yes, how?

• Re: Access webservice thru ActiveSync?
          Daniel Silva

I think if you install the loopback adapter on your PC, that might get you working.  I have not tried this, but have used the loopback adapter in a previous life to solve similar issues.

How to install Microsoft Loopback Adapter

• Re: Access webservice thru ActiveSync?
              Mark Nongkhlaw

Thanks, Daniel. I followed your advice, installed the Loopback Adapter, then ran ipconfig, I got 2 IPs now :

C:\>ipconfig

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d53d:171d:7b20:5ad0%21

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.90.208

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.2.3

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Question is which one should I use in the mobile app? I tried using each one to browse my JSON feed on the PC, both work, so I'm not sure which one is the correct one for my rhoconfig.txt. I also edited my rhoconfig.txt and pointed to each of the IPs, both failed when run on device. BTW, Mobile Device Center now doesn't show "Connected" when the device is connected to PC. Should it, and is that the cause (Not sure what exactly the Loopback Adapter does, does it disable Mobile Device Center in any way?)

Just curious : What was the issue you solved using the Loopback Adapter?