9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 1:10 PM by Kendrick Coleman

Help with architecture...  RhoConnect?

I'm attepting to build an application with a very very complex SOAP installation. I finally figured out how to make the calls in SoapUI and I'm working on getting the calls to work correctly in ruby with Savon for starters. I was doing some reading and it seem like it's much easier to create the SOAP connection from RhoConnect to the application server, and then serve REST APIs to the mobile app from RhoConnect.

I'm confused on what RhoConnect actually is. I've read all the motorola documentation and it's not KISS enough for me. I'm a novice RoR programmer but the function of RhoConnect is still foriegn to me. If i planned on putting my app in the app store, where does a RhoConnect instace run? Is this something that runs on the mobile phone? or do you have to deploy a RhoConnect server somewhere? If it's the latter, then that probably won't work.

This application will hopefully be used by hundreds of people. Essentially, when you download the app, you will use it to connect to your own internal application server. This internal application server has its own WSDL. REST is not available on the application, only SOAP.

So am i stuck trying to perform the SOAP calls directly from the mobile device?

Any suggestions on making my life easier? Are there any good how-to blog posts out there? Thanks

• Re: Help with architecture...  RhoConnect?
          Kutir Mobility

Hi Kendrick,

RhoConnect is a synchronization framework consisting of a client application (a client component on the mobile device) and a server component a RhoConnect application). Rho-connect server works like connector between mobile and backend application.It get all data from backend application and sync to local device. It doesn't run on mobile phone. You need to deploy RhoConnect server somewhere and then you use that url in your Rhodes application.

Rhodes doesn't support savon gem. If you want to use savon gem directly in rhodes app, you should add it as extension. But it's dependence is large. So, you try to call SOAP service from Rhoconnect.

Please refer this link http://www.spritle.com/blogs/2012/03/23/consume-soap-webservice-in-rhoconnect/

Visnupriya R

Kutir Mobility

So it's safe to say that RhoConnect cannot be used for my application if it

would require every individual to deploy their own RhoConnect server. Since

this cannot use a centralized server for everyone.

I know that Savon will not work with Rhodes, so I will have to figure

something out. I saw the spritle article on how to do SOAP calls from the

mobile device itself by using the entire envelope. As a n00b to all of

this, it's probably going to make my life very hard by trying to figure out

how I can get the returned value from the SOAP envelop to save as a value.

Other than spritle's blog, are there any more Rhodes + SOAP examples out

there?

Kendrick Coleman

t: @kendrickcoleman

Pardon any typos... I'm mobile

On Dec 16, 2013, at 6:16 AM, Kutir Mobility <

Kutir Mobility

Kendrick,

No. You just need one RhoConnect server that can be used by n number of devices or clients.

In your case it is safe to use RhoConnect with savon gem, if you are not interested in using RhoConnect server, then thing about converting your SOAP web services in to Restful JSON Webserivces.

Restful services can be consumed directly from Rhodes app.

Visnupriya. R

Kutir Mobility

Jon Tara

No, I think that Kendrick is saying that each user will already have their own server that has some SOAP service. Users might not want to hand their data to a third party to pass along to their internal service!

Since your users are already running a SOAP service, it does not seem unreasonable to require them to install RhoConnect. Why not just run it on the same machine as the SOAP service?

Alternately, you can write your own REST service as a front-end to the SOAP service. This doesn't need to use RhoConnect. You could write this, for example, in Sinatra. Of course, you will still need to install this somewhere where it has access to the SOAP service.

i think that is a big ask when dealing with Fortune 500 companies. Its def

more moving parts that are unnecessary.

Kendrick Coleman

www.kendrickcoleman.com

twitter: @KendrickColeman

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Jon Tara <

Jon Tara

It seems to me a false economy to tremendously complicate the job for the sake of "fewer moving parts"...

Jon,

If you have ever worked in a large company then you know what a pain it can

be to go through the change control process of installing new servers and

applications. This application will be more widely adopted if all that is

necessary is a simple download from the app store. thanks for your

responses everyone. much appreciated.

Kendrick Coleman

www.kendrickcoleman.com

twitter: @KendrickColeman

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Jon Tara <

Jon Tara

If you have ever worked in a large company then you know what a pain it can

be to go through the change control process of installing new servers and

applications.

Sony big enough?

But I was lucky to work for a department whose charter was the change control process itself. (For deploying to Playstation Network servers.) And in a company with the enlightened attitude that ops exists for the purpose of making things happen, not inhibiting them from happening.

In that environment, it's not difficult to deploy a new middleware server that makes it easier to talk to some legacy system. (Anything with a SOAP interface is likely a legacy system...) In fact, it's a preferred solution. You leave the legacy system intact and unchanged. That makes people happy. You add a service that makes it practical to continue to use the legacy system more easily, and not upset the applecart. That makes more people happy. The only people it makes unhappy are those that just like to say "no" because they like the sound of it.

Especially when the alternative is making a mobile app impossibly difficult to keep up to date, prone to error, slow to update (due to level of effort), and that would require multiples of effort over using a REST interface.

I wouldn't write a Rhodes app that needs to consume anything but a very simple SOAP interface.

The biggest problem is that without a proper SOAP library, you are discarding the most compelling aspect of SOAP - automatic updating of interfaces using WSDL. You'd have to hard-code parsing of the data, and hand-create requests.

RhoConnect was designed specifically for a big corporate environment, and is specifically designed to make big-data interfaces more accessible to mobile apps.

Anyway, I think you are asking for trouble, and I'd urge you to take another path if you can.

I feel your pain. In my current work, we have one application that has to talk to a SOAP interface, and we do it the hard way. This informed further work, and so newer apps use a REST interface. The difference in complexity and number of defects is night and day. I wouldn't wish your task on anyone.