5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 3:44 PM by Anu Kannan

Abrupt exit

Peter Arcuri

Created my multi-barcode template using Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63, which was pretty much straightforward. Copied the template on the MC67 and launched DPXtest > Start > MyTemplate > Browse SD card > CPC_Envelope.xml (Template loaded. Click on Start) > Start . The message "Place Document for Scanning" appears for a split second and suddenly the DPXtest app exits. Tried this several times. It appears to happen only on my templates.

The demo templates load and work fine.

I've attached my image and template for review.

• Re: Abrupt exit

Hi Peter,

There are a few issues with your template:

-No distinguishing between the two barcodes specified in the template. Currently, there is a bug that prevents templates with multiple barcodes with the same properties from decoding properly. In the future, even if this is fixed, this would mean that the barcodes will come back in a non-deterministic order, as there is no unique characteristic(s) defined for each one (e.g. symbology, starts with certain characters, number of characters in the barcode). My recommendation is to characterize these two barcodes regions somehow (do the number of characters in the barcodes stay the same? If so, use number of characters)

-Barcode regions are not marked "Use field to identify form" and "Also read value from field". Currently there is a bug that prevents templates with only barcodes and no test regions to be created successfully, which is what happened here. Even once this is fixed, if you do not mark barcode regions as such, they may or may not come be returned. If you are satisfied with this behavior, you can leave it as it is and wait for a Template Builder update to fix this bug. However, if you would like the barcode to always return (which is true in a lot of cases), you must mark the region as such using the aforementioned check boxes.

Regards,

Lawrence

Peter Arcuri

Thanks Lawrence…. I've marked my barcode regions by selecting "use field to identify form" and also "read value from field" however now whenever I attempt to save the template or download I get an error message "There is something wrong with the export!. Please check all the fields!"

Thoughts?

Anu Kannan

Peter,

I've seen this error posted when I tried to modify a template after importing it from a previous version. I updated the template builder version last week and started noticing this issue.

Could you please recreate your template from scratch and try it out ?

Please ensure the different bar codes are discriminated properly either via their symbology or length or content.

Thanks,

Anu

• Re: Re: Abrupt exit
                      Peter Arcuri

Okay, i've created a new "mix content" template that has simply 2 barcodes. Each are discriminated via their length. When running it on the device the wire frames do not appear and the processing (hold steady) message dose but nothing happens. I've attached my template for review.

Anu Kannan

Peter,

As Lawrence mentioned we need to be able to discriminate between the two barcodes in order to be able to intelligently report that the first barcode is indeed the "Regular Standard" and hte other is the "Address". In order for your template to work you need to update the Decode data options -> String Length to '28' and '17' respectively. [You've updated the Barcode Options ->  Length1]

However, in cases where this barcode data length cannot be known beforehand or if both barcodes have the same decode data lengths, there really isn't a discriminating criteria amongst the barcodes. That said, I'm glad you brought this up since we were debating about this use-case earlier this week.

Do you see the need to be able to report multiple barcodes of the exact same criteria - Symbology and length, with only their decode data being different.

While this is supportable, we wouldn't be able to specifically map the name-value pair. So the decode data might be returned in a random order. So would like to know if this warrants as a real use-case [or was this you were simply trying out ?]

Thanks,

Anu