RhoElement Apps does not print on Zebra with APD

Hi All

Currently we have a Rho App which print over a bluetooth link in a GX420t using APD. Randomly sometimes the App can not print due to lack of connection with the printer. We know that since the printer has a display which shows whether you are connected or not. Our question is, is there any debugging tool from Zebra in order to know why the app is not connecting with the printer?

Thanks

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Guillermo,If the

Hi Guillermo,

If the connection to the printer is only not happening randomly, there is not much we can do on the printer to help debug. The APD also obfuscates the connection so determining the issue from the device side is also not easy. If you could give more details on how often and when, like just after power up, or something, the issue occurs, we might be able to point you in the right direction. Also which version of Rho and what OS are you on?

We do use Bluetooth sniffers (I.e. Protocol Analizers) on occasion to determine the cause of these types of issues. They are third party hardware and software and they tend to be expensive. Let me know if you want a recommendation and I’ll reply to you privately. The other option is to open a support case with us and we may be able to do the analysis for you.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Guillermo James
Hi RobinFinally I get the

Hi Robin

Finally I get the error from the log of our RhoElement 2.2 App. Sequence was a follow:

1) Web forrn was completed and we hit the Save button which save the data into the internal database (Redis) to then send the data thru a RhoConnect server.

2) Few seconds later the APD pop up screen showed up for a very few seconds (normally takes 1 minute) but the GX420t did not change the status from NOT CONNECTED to CONNECTED as a successful printer does.

How we can avoid this kind of error?. The ET1 was less than a meter close to the printer. Is there a way usign our RhoElement code to handle this kind of error, can we retry the printer job?

Screenshot_2014-02-11-15-53-05.png

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Guillermo,I'll contact you

Hi Guillermo,

I'll contact you directly with information about a support case. If you want, you can also call +1 877 275 9327 for support.

Unfortunately the APD software was designed at least 20 years ago, and hasn't changed much.  There is only so much that it's capable of.  We are trying to fix the situation, but it's Motorola's software and we require support from ISV's like you to make it clear that these changes are needed.

Thanks

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Guillermo James
Hi RobinThanks for your quick

Hi Robin

Thanks for your quick response. If APD is no longer supported or it is

difficult to get a solution, is there another way to use Zebra printers

using RhoStudio?

Regards.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Well, Motorola says they

Well, Motorola says they still support the APD.

That still doesn't get you to what you need.  The best answer I can give you is to create a native extension to the Zebra Android SDK.  There is some good info on that topic here. We're finding more and more that developers writing mission critical apps with printing need to do this instead of using the APD.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Guillermo James
RobinChecking the first link

Robin

Checking the first link you provide us (Zebra Android SDK) it looks like it only support this Zebra printers:

The Link-OS environment is available for use with the following Zebra devices:

Update your existing iMZ, QLn and ZT200 devices to the Link-OS environment
Existing QLn and ZT200 series units can be updated to the new Link-OS environment by downloading new firmware to the printer. Download for the specific printers below.

What about the GX420t we are currently using?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Guillermo James
RobinIs there a way using APD

Robin

Is there a way using APD we can handle the connection error, so that way we can retry printing until a bluetooth connection is established?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
You can try the get last

You can try the get last message function. I didn’t have much luck with it when I was working with it, but it might detect your issue.

Command 0107 (Decimal 263) Get Last Message.

Reference: Cmd_PSGetLastMessage.

Purpose: Requests the PID of the currently connected printer.

Parameters: None.

Examples:

Direct TCHAR *PSGetLastMessage(void);

Indirect 1 PSExternal(Cmd_PSGetLastMessage,NULL);

Embedded $$[CMD:0107]$$

Browser 1 objPrinter.PSExternal(263, “”);

Response: The ‘direct’ and ‘browser’ commands return data via a pointer to a NULL terminated array. The other commands return data via the “PRTDRV.RSP” file in “\Program Files”.

Example of data: Cannot connect: 55.

Note: The response relates to the last error, not necessarily the status of the most recent command.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Guillermo James
Thanks RobinAlso, is there a

Thanks Robin

Also, is there a way to put the bluetooth connection always on using APD?

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Robin West <

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Guillermo James
Hi Robin, it's great to hear

Hi Robin, it's great to hear from you again.

I know it is difficult to troubleshoot something when it happens randomly. It is a big problem to us when the app does not print in the GX420t over the bluetooth link. For that reason that would be great if you can assist us opening a support case. Please do let me know how we can do this.

Best regards.

Guillermo

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’