select scanner symbology via scanner API

I assume that currently, in order to select specific symbologies and their parameters, the only way is first creating several profiles by hand and then yes, programatically selecting them from the API.

I wonder if this feature is expectable to be fully available from the API (no need to create preconfigured profiles), if there are plans to do so.

I also have the same question about app/actvty assignment to profiles via API.

Thanks!

Glenn Sayer
Juan,You do have access to

Juan,

You do have access to control the scanner via the Barcode API and this gives you full functionality to set the symbologies.  How are you creating these setting by hand.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juan-Antonio Ma...
Thanks!Well, I actually

Thanks!

Well, I actually posted the question on behalf of one of my partners. I have not used barcode API (I don't even have a unit to play with ) but my partner has, and he told me that they could not find the way to do this.

So we supposed the way was creating a profile preconfigured with the right symbologies/parameters and then using it with switchToProfile method.

We also took a look at one source sample (https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/community/android/android-forums/android-blogs/blog/2013/09/16/data-capture-api-demo-sample), but there was nothing about configuring symbologies.

If this feature is available, is there any sample on how to use it?

Or documentation. On https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/docs/DOC-1874 file I could not see anything...

Thanks again!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ritesh Gupta
Hi, The way to do this would

Hi,

The way to do this would be to have 2 or more profiles, each profile will select or deselect one or more symbologies.  The app can swap the profiles using the intent.

-Ritesh

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juan-Antonio Ma...
Thanks Ritesh!That's exactly

Thanks Ritesh!

That's exactly what we supposed. The question is if there are plans to have a way to do this directly via the API, just like EMDK does now for WM.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

TEOFILO GONZALE...
Hi Juan,Thanks for your

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your contribution.

The problem is when you have to settings (X) devices by hand. It's very costly.

I think a good solution would be a (configuration file), to automatically setting each profile. DtatWedge will detected the file and automatically import it.

This is possible?

Thanks again.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
Yes is possible.Once you

Yes is possible.

Once you setup one device, you can save the DataWedge configuration and move this file to all the other devices, by hand or with an MDM.

This is explained in the Integrator Guides of our Android devices like the one of the MC40:

https://atgsupportcentral.motorolasolutions.com/content/emb/docs/manuals/MN000112A01a.pdf

You can find the information you're looking for in chapter 4.9: Configuration and Profile File Management

Our Integrator Guides contains a lot of useful informations! :-)

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

TEOFILO GONZALE...
Thanks Prieto,Really is what

Thanks Prieto,

Really is what I was looking. It's fantastic.

Thanks you very much!!!

Regards, Teo.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Horst Anderlohr
Hello Team,In my opinion, we

Hello Team,

In my opinion, we should extend the API to give the possibility creating profiles programatically.

I will give you one example which is key for one of our customers.

The customers does use several application software for different use cases. Therefore, they are looking to set profiles dynamically.

The settings for the scanner are not specified by the applications software itself, they are stored on a database server.

Doing this, they are very flexible if requirements are changing.

In case they need to add barcodes or disallow barcodes, because they have to serve new customers. They just have to do the changes within their database and all applications will work with the new barcode settings.

To change their settings within the database, they do have a nice user interface on a PC.

In our case somebody would have to do more complex changes on a mobile device.

The customer would like to stay at the designed method and want to be able to use his database record method. In this case they need a function to create own profiles programatically and dynamically.

Please try to get this on the roadmap and please let me know at what time we may can expect to get this extended functionality.

Kind regards

Horst

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’